Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Burning smell and a little smoke - details in side.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell and a little smoke - details in side.

this one is really bizarre.
since i haven't posted in ages, here are the specs - 2001 allroad, 6sp manual, apr chip, miltek exhaust, h-sports, stock air suspension, new zimmerman rotors (f+b), new metal master pads (f+b). so, here are the symptoms. when driving the car for the first time each morning, at my first long stop light (usually after 5 blocks), there is a strange burning smell sometimes accompanied by a little smoke from the front driver side wheel well. the smell is definitely not coolant or oil. it's somewhat like a burning clutch smell. however, since it only happens the first time i stop, and the car is in neutral with my foot off the clutch, i don't think this would be the problem. this issue started about a month before the rotor/pad replacement. so, i don't think it has anything to do with the brakes (although i'm open to suggestions). otherwise, after the first stop of the day, the smoke/smell won't return unless i leave the car sitting long enough for it to totally cool down (8-10hrs). any thoughts on what might be causing this? thanks. j.

ps. Donny, if you're reading this, it only happens at Woodland/5th Street and the three way stop in front of East High School on Main Street. perhaps i'm in a bermuda triangle for audi gremlins.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Even though you said it is probably not oil I would definitely point at some seal in the back of engine and oil dripping on turbos or exhaust. I actually have the same exact problem now myself, burnt oil but only about 1min + after start and stops after few minutes. Doesn't come back until car cools down.

I think that initial oil pressure on cold seal causes this. Once it warms up, the seal, well, seals properly.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

that was my original though.
interestingly, it must only be a drop at a time as i have witnessed zero noticable oil loss over the past 2 months during regular bi-weekly checks. since almost every seal has been replaced since i got the allroad, i wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. oddly, it just doesn't smell like oil. i'll take a look to see if there is anything of note from underneath. thanks. j.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same thing happened to me. I took the car to be checked and the mechanic saw leakage coming from the backof the driver side valve cover.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DSAV
Same thing happened to me. I took the car to be checked and the mechanic saw leakage coming from the backof the driver side valve cover.
It definitely looks like it in my case. The leak is very high on the passenger side, the only seal around there is the valve cover.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the exact same symptoms happeing with my 97 A4 Quottro. Though mine seems to occasionally smoke for a little longer than just the firstlong stop.

Ive taken it to my mech twice and he cannot find any oil leaks.

Anyone got anymore ideas they'd like to throw out there? I'm really quite desperate.