Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

buying wheels for my son for christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying wheels for my son for christmas

I am buying a set of wheels for my son for christmas. My son has an 01 allroad two seven. I understand that the factory offset is 25 mm. All the wheels I am finding are 35 mm or 45 mm. I am going with factory replicas. Either the a8 wheels or the rs4 wheels. So, what are my options with the offset dillema? If i get a wheel with a 35 mm offset, I will use spacers right? Or will they work as they are? Also what size spacer will i have to use if any at all? If i wanted the rear to poke out a little more than the front? If someone could even explain the wheel offset to me so I understand it a little better would be helpful.

Also, if anyone has any wheels they are selling please let me know. Any good sites or brands of aftermarket wheels that make wheels with a 5x112 with a 25 mm offset? thanks for your time,
Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Call these guys.They carry RS4 18" with the proper offset.I have ordered a couple sets from them and I've been completely happy with them
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Wheels

or try http://www.achtuning.com
i just bouught Hartman HRS4 DTM wheels 18". reasonable price, no spacers required, great quality and service.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks for the links and info,

however, I wanted someone to explain the offset deal to me. Along with what size spacers I will need for a 35 mm wheel and 45 mm wheel.
I guess my main question is, I know that my stock wheels have a 25 mm offset. When I Add a spacer, its obviously adding width. So if i add a 15 mm spacer to a wheel that has a 35 mm offset, will that make it a 25 mm offset now, or a 45mm. Like I said i am unclear on how the offset it figured and how it changes when you add a spacer. And if I wanted the rear wheels to stick out a little bit more than the front, would I get a larger spacer, or a smaller? any and all info and links will help clear this up for me. I really need to figure this thing out because I need to get these wheels shipped and moving ASAP. thanks for your time!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Offset is the distance from the center of the wheel to the back of the mounting surface. (i.e. a 0mm offset on an 8" is exactly in the middle of the wheel....likewise, a 25mm offset will be 25mm TOWARDS the OUTSIDE edge from the middle & a -25mm offset would be 25mm TOWARDS the INSIDE edge from the middle) This mostly effects clearance between the suspension & fender. Allroads more of less need a 20-25mm offset depending on the width of the wheel.

Also, if the wheel you are looking at is a wider width, you will need to take that in to account. For instance, if you currently have a 17x7.5 ET 25(17" tall, 7.5"wide, offset of 25mm) & you went to an 18x8 ET20(18"tall, 8"wide, offset 20) the distance from the inside of the wheel to the suspension will be about the same.

wheel is 0.5"(13mm) wider =0.25(0.65mm per inside/outside) but offset is moved closer to the inside edge -5mm less

Spacers adjust for an incorrect offset. SO....if you are looking for an 18x8 ET 45 (18"tall, 8"wide, offset of 45mm, the wheel would sit too close to the inside & would hit the suspension. to adjust for that, you would need a 25mm spacer.

45mm offset
-25mm spacer

IMPORTANT!!!! if you are using a spacer, you most likely will need longer lug bolts & by using a spacer, you are increasing the load on the wheel bearing by changing the leverage point of the wheel on the hub. This might be minute depending on the amount of the spacer but it still happens.

I would avoid using any spacer larger than 20mm but that is just me.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tirerack has a wealth of info too...
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...urrentpage=91&

20mm spacers often come with their own bolts. They bolt to the hub & then the wheels bolt to the spacer. It would be a superior setup in that you can keep your stock lug bolts on. Here is a picture of a setup from the past.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=155072

One more thing, if you use spacers requiring longer bolts be sure to keep stock lug bolts in your with your tools for your jack to be used with the spare :-)
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER993
or try http://www.achtuning.com
i just bouught Hartman HRS4 DTM wheels 18". reasonable price, no spacers required, great quality and service.
ACHtuning has the break down of what will fit the AR and what spacers they need. If you call them they are very helpful.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default i found the wheels i want

So here is what I want to get. They are 19x8.5 with a 35 mm offset. I see you all are talking about 8 inches wide. Now my question is will 8.5" work? And what spacer would you suggest?

Singlespeeddad, and all others who post I appreciate your help and time. I am curious to those who have aftermarket wheels on your allroad, what size wheels/offset/spacer are you using? So like I said, I found the wheels I really want, the 19x8.5" ET35. Just need to know if they will fit and what size spacer will work, and then I can order them! If I order them this weekend, I can still have them here before the holiday! Thanks again and have safe holidays and travels.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

also look at allroadfaq.com and look at wheels section.

Fitment of wheels is not guaranteed even with what might seem like proper spacers due to possible brake caliper interference.

The only sure-fire way to order wheels and spacers at the same time is only when somebody says that they are running such set on same as yours car.... otherwise you'll have to order wheels first, see how they fit and then get proper spacers...

and remember, when fitting spacers make sure to compensate for brake pads if your are not brand spanking new since caliper will be a little bit further out with new pads than one with worn down ones.

Having said all of that, post what wheels you're looking at and maybe somebody can confirm.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by finiki
One more thing, if you use spacers requiring longer bolts be sure to keep stock lug bolts in your with your tools for your jack to be used with the spare :-)
Duh, *facepalm*. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: buying wheels for my son for christmas