Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Cargo Box storage in garage: How do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo Box storage in garage: How do you do it?

I have a PackaSport System 60 [17 cu. ft.] that is similar in size to a Yakima RocketBox 16. I'd like to hang that from my garage ceiling with a sling and pulleys so I can easily install and then store it when not needed.

Do any of you store it this way? If so, how did you make it work?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Off topic - Sorry!

Oops! I just realized that this is off-topic and I didn't mark it as such. I apologize.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not offtopic FYI. If you were talking about the weather or sports that is offtopic.

Anything related to your car is on topic.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I store lots of stuff with pulleys on the ceiling...

Bikes, ladders, sailboard... but I haven't done the roof box yet.

The chief problem is getting good, low-friction pulleys at a reasonable price. Anything you buy at the hardware store has too much friction. So in a 2-point system one end raises and lowers much faster than the other, such that you have to monkey with the lifted object to keep it level on the way up and down. I think that for something that needs 3- or 4-point lift like a roof box this would be unmanageable -- or at least maddeningly slow to raise and lower, as you'd have to do each corner a few inches in succession all the way up/down.

(This not to knock those who do it this way, BTW, it's just that I'm obsessing over finding the perfect solution.)

The only source I've found for ball-bearing pulleys is sailing hardware, but the price is waaaay over budget considering the number I need for all my garage storage. a 2-point lift requires 5-6 pulley blocks. If anybody has a better source, *please* tell me!

If you want to see basically how it's done, email me and I can send you a photo of the system I use for my sailboard.

Cheers.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:52 AM

Default Thule box lift 571

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=15&amp;sku=571<ul><li><a href="http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=15&amp;sku=571">http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=15&amp;sku=571</a</li></ul>
Old 08-04-2004, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Cargo Box storage in garage: How do you do it?

I did a simple 2-point pulley system myself. I got one of those aerodynamix Thule boxes, bought it for my saab 9-5 station wagon and I am sure it will look fine on my -01 AR as well. Just go to home depot or something and get creative. All I needed was rope and 4 of those rolling things. VOILA. Works perfect and saved ~$100. sure it doesn't look as fancy as the official ones but $100 is $100 !
Old 08-04-2004, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I built my own pulley system to lift it to the garage ceiling.

It isn't terribly clean as they are not low resistance pulleys, but it works.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Cargo Box storage in garage: How do you do it?

I went real cheap. Just bought 2 pulleys at the hardware store and hung them from the garage rafters, I formed loops at the end of the nylon rope (which does stretch) to go around the box and used hooks attached to the side of the garage, creating small loops in the rope to mark the proper length of rope to hook onto the hooks. I used this setup for over 10 years without any problems. It just always took 2 people to mount the box on and off. If you need a box, you have more than yourself anyway.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hanger, 4 motorcycle tie down straps, makes for easy lift off. See photo.

Photo.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Home Depot's ladder storage hooks on wall. Hang cargo box vertically on cross bars.

Quick Reply: Cargo Box storage in garage: How do you do it?