Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

chip replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip replacement

I have both an Allroad 2.7 bi-turbo and a A-4 2.8.
I keep hearing about changing the chips but don't have a clue as to what they do and what the benifits are. Do they cancel out the warranty.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: chip replacement

First welcome to the forum. You will learn much more than we can tell you by searching the Audi World archive.

But, in a nutshell. Our cars are controlled by a computer (ECU) in the ECU is a chip that controls the engine's settings: Valve timing, fuel mixture and tubo boost...waste gate..etc.

Doing this to a turbo motor 2.7T can raise the HP from 260-318 and more important raise the torque to a neck snapping...wheel chirping figures. The change to the 2.8 non turbo is perhpas 20 HP and virtually no torque and is IMHO not worth the $$.

The science of Chipping or DiPping involves the swapping of this specific chip or the reprograming of the chip's software. In chipping you are swapping the chip. A performance dealer or chip mfg does this by desoldering the factory chip and soldering in the performance chip. (powertrain warranty can be voided.. but the dealer has to see it or feel it to know.)

In DiPping, your car's computer access plug (under the dash) is hooked up to the performance shop's computer. This is called the Direct Port (DP) methood... hence DiPping. Being there is no opening of the ECU and soldering.. this methood is preffered by most due to it's stealthy nature.

Doing this is fun... but not for the faint of heart. Our engines are built for much more power than they come to us with. They are detuned for the average driver and US roads. Changing the chip will unleash a lot of power in an already powerful car. It totally changes the personallity of the allroad.

Warning...it is a never ending quest for change. After you do one thing... lower the suspension....then you add sway bars... then HP tires.. then the chip... then the diverter valves.. then the....__________.

You become hooked like the rest of us.

My wife nutritionist said it best..."If I don't start.... I don't have a problem..."

It's a problem.. a lot of us enjoy having..

Now where is that Wheel Catalog? hmmmmmm.....
Have fun...
Old 06-17-2004, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The best a6-c5 Info Site... (Stoney's Links)

I have found this site to be invaluable. It has soo much info int it especially for the new people on the boards. While it is specific to the A6.. it includes many bits about chipping...our 2.7T, systems, etc.<ul><li><a href="http://www.netwiz.net/~jds/files/a6_links.html">The Links</a></li></ul>