Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

"Chipping", gas mileage, and reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just so you've got a good engine without underlying issues, tuning is the best bang for the buck !
you will feel like you are driving a new car with the 20 to 30% increase in power...

Most of the tuners are good and are safe for what you want...
good luck and let the dollars and stats help you make your decision

Visit company websites for
Revo, https://products.revotechnik.com/pro...eSoftware.aspx
giac, http://www.giacusa.com/
apr, http://www.goapr.com/

etc.. to see what works best for you...

OH, in every case in my car history(5 or 6 tuned vehicles),
tuning has increased mpg...
not enough to PAY for the new found fun, but if driven the same 1-2 mpg is a normal increase...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a ballpark $$ figure for a mild "chip" tune?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brider
What's a ballpark $$ figure for a mild "chip" tune?
roughly 5 bills
Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it changes the tq curve, and coasting down a hill in neutral gives a ton of ectra mileage.

fyi, adaptation 60 in the cluster will allow you to change your maf from a hitcahi to a bosch by changing the value to 0 if your tuned for it.

the reason this car has issues getting 30mpg on average is all the self protection measures using ectra fuel to cool down the cats......

also driving habits and hardware play a large factor along with oil weight annd quality.

ps, i almost have to drive in drive not sport mode with the apr chip otherwise i get fault codes. but reprograming the cliuter changes the shift points of the tranny!

thats why you get better mileage.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You should come up to Manchester and drive my Stage 1 O.ct chipped 6 speed. A very noticeable bump in power and tq over stock, no loss of driveability or gas mileage either. We average almost 22 mpg combined driving. Nice linear power increase thru-out the rev-range too, very esay to live with.

I've been chipped for over 110K miles/6+ years, the motor is no worse for wear at nearly 180K (5K oil changes)

I can get your car chipped for under 500$ up here at the indy up the road,while you wait. You'll love it.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by choptt
it changes the tq curve, and coasting down a hill in neutral gives a ton of ectra mileage.
Changing that stuff in Adaptation 60 to the 8cyl mods the tq curve? I think I'm confused...what about the fuel consumption factor change...?

I must be wrong here - generally all cars will cut fuel to the injectors when the throttle is zero and rpm is above idle. Is it true that the allroad TIP doesn't follow this programming? Neutral in any car will require fuel to keep it at idle rpm. This would be the first car I've ever owned that didn't have decel fuel cut if that's the case. I'm still learning over at nefmoto ...

the reason this car has issues getting 30mpg on average is all the self protection measures using ectra fuel to cool down the cats......
would it be necessary to remove the cats before doing your suggested mods if the motronic safety nets need to be in place to save them?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by choptt

the reason this car has issues getting 30mpg on average is all the self protection measures using ectra fuel to cool down the cats.
dumping raw fuel into a cat will only make it run hotter... That's basic physics of how a cat works
Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by score602
roughly 5 bills
Whew, if that's what you are paying for a tune, I've got some land in south Florida I want to sell you

Most range from about $400 on up depending on the 'stage' of the tune...
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by all(over)road
You should come up to Manchester and drive my Stage 1 O.ct chipped 6 speed. A very noticeable bump in power and tq over stock, no loss of driveability or gas mileage either. We average almost 22 mpg combined driving. Nice linear power increase thru-out the rev-range too, very esay to live with.

I've been chipped for over 110K miles/6+ years, the motor is no worse for wear at nearly 180K (5K oil changes)

I can get your car chipped for under 500$ up here at the indy up the road,while you wait. You'll love it.
I'm gonna keep this post in my back pocket and hopefully PM or e-mail you soon. I'd like to drive your 6-sp MT and compare it to mine. BTW, what's the shape of your tranny synchros, and is it not-so-smooth shifting in the lower gears with that mileage?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 6-speed tranny is fine at 180K...the original fluid is in there too! Absolutely no issues in 1st or 2nd gear. I will say that when its very cold and at start-up the fluid is cold and thick , so the tranny seems a bit tight going into 1...but most any manual tranny will feel that way after a cold spell. Fluid thins down after warm-up ( maybe a few minutes of driving)

You are most welcome to come up and drive my allroad. We can even go up to the shop 5 miles up the road and drive 2 other 6-speed allroads that are on the lot.

Weren't you supposed to call and swing thru for a scan back in Nov2011? Anyway, the invite is always open !

Quick Reply: "Chipping", gas mileage, and reliability