Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Clicking Noise Under Braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise Under Braking

Hello.

I have an 2006 A6 Allroad 2.7 TDI Quattro. When I brake I sometimes hear a click noise just once after pressing the brake pedal - not immediately when I press it but after it grips slightly. It doesn't happen every time and usually happens at slow speeds e.g. when coming into a slow junction. It doesn't appear to be coming from any particular wheel but seems to be coming from the middle underneath the car.

I have checked the brake calipers and pads and they seem solid. It doesn't happen because of bumpy roads as far as I can tell.

Anyone else experienced this in their Allroad?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only time i had this happen is when the lower ball joints were going out

something to look into
Old 08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motionpotion
Hello.

I have an 2006 A6 Allroad 2.7 TDI Quattro. When I brake I sometimes hear a click noise just once after pressing the brake pedal - not immediately when I press it but after it grips slightly. It doesn't happen every time and usually happens at slow speeds e.g. when coming into a slow junction. It doesn't appear to be coming from any particular wheel but seems to be coming from the middle underneath the car.

I have checked the brake calipers and pads and they seem solid. It doesn't happen because of bumpy roads as far as I can tell.

My '03 does the same thing. Only under slower braking and it sound like a metallic pop, just one pop and not all the time. Can you feel it through the brake pedal and/or floorboard? I can with mine.

I've not been able to figure it out. Checked front brakes and all seems well. Only correlation I've found is seems to be worse after I've used wheel cleaner on the wheels during a wash.
Originally Posted by PaperToast
only time i had this happen is when the lower ball joints were going out

something to look into
Did your ball joints make noise any other time? I only get the noise under braking and ball joints all check out with the wiggle/shake test. No movement, no groaning, and no popping during normal driving.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its your inner cv joint , most likey drivers side.

2 options,
replace cv joint
or find a big *** suringe filled with some cv grease, and push the needal into the joint (betean the x) and push the new grease in, when done, use liquid electral tape at lowes, and just seal up the whole. worked for me 2 times.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello.

I had this issue. I had the click noise as well as start to drive and than on stops as you said after brakes get some grip. It turned out to be inner CV joint on driver side
Old 04-08-2022, 12:39 AM
Banned

Hello.

its your inner cv joint , most likey drivers side.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello.

i would check inner cv joint for movement. This is what i had on my audi a6 c6 FWD. I felt movement simply wiggling cv shaft back and forward. I could feel one side was rigid but not other. Changed and clicking noise on starts and stops was gone
Old 04-09-2022, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you notice the original posting was ELEVEN years ago?