Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Clutch bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch bleeding

Did anyone here bleed the clutch on the AR? If so did you tackle it from the top of engine bay or underneath the car. I found it almost impossible from the bottom...and it also seems too far to reach from the top.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Clutch bleeding update...

I managed to bleed it from the bottom... I basically squeezed my arm between the transmission and the down pipe to get to the bleeding screw...If anyone else plans to do a brake fluid flush(on a manual transmission) and encounters difficulties I would be happy to help. Maybe even take pictures...
Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by indoor
I managed to bleed it from the bottom... I basically squeezed my arm between the transmission and the down pipe to get to the bleeding screw...If anyone else plans to do a brake fluid flush(on a manual transmission) and encounters difficulties I would be happy to help. Maybe even take pictures...
I'm trying to bleed the clutch on my 2002 Allroad, and i can not find anything that looks to me like a clutch bleed valve. If someone could provide a better description of it's location or pictures, that would be fantastic.

I have the car up on jack stands, have removed the plastic shield under the car, and the heat shield over the driver's side axle, but I don't see it.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow the hose from the master cylinder. Slave is nestled into the top of the bell housing for the clutch at the back of the engine.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Follow the hose from the master cylinder. Slave is nestled into the top of the bell housing for the clutch at the back of the engine.
On top of the bell housing? So is it easiest to access from underneath the car, or is there a way to get to it from the top? Is it closer to the driver's side, or is it near the center?

-Dan
Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can only get to it from beneath the car. It's pretty much centered, but the hose will come out of the firewall on the driver side and the bleeder screw should be that side too.

On Audis, it's best to have a pressure bleeder for both brakes and clutch hydraulics.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Some pics

Ok so I have two pictures. To properly see the clutch bleeding screw you have to put a light under the car(with the plastic belly pan cover off). So the first picture even though is fuzzy has the light on top of the engine to see where the aprox. area of viewing would be. The actual bleeding screw would be by the red spot in the blurry pic. If you notice the second picture is actually shot from the same spot but with the light under the car and zoomed in a little...and this second picture has the bleeding screw by the same red spot.
Attached Images