Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Coil pack replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil pack replacement help

Ok. Shuttering and misfiring under hard acceleration. According to VAG readout, it is just cylinders 2 and 5 (#5 is worse). Given that is is not all cylinders or just one bank, I'm figuring it is the coil packs (2001 AR has 128K miles and the coil packs have never been changed before).

Is there a tech article anywhere that guides one through the process of changing the coil packs? There are quite a few hoses, some fuel, in the way. Is there a specific way they should be removed? The Bentley Manual that I have is typically poor with respect to guidance how to do this. Any guidance, help or suggestions anyone can give me here? I am fairly mechanically inclined with (probably) all the tools I need. I'm much for used to working on British cars for the late 70's where thinks are a bit more obvious, than these modern Audis, but I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

While I'm in there will also replace the throttle body boot and diverter valves (w/710N's) just becuase it's about time and they might be contributing. Interesting that I can't find mention of these parts in the Bentley manual, much less information on their replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There was a service campaign to replace coil packs for some allroads. It started about 9 or 10 (?) months ago. My dealer just replaced them all when I had my (my2004) in for brakes and airbag.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, There is ongoing recall for Audis nad VWs. Call dealer to find out, Its free but I was told they replace only the faulty ones. They did all 6 in my 04 allroad however. Dont drive muxh with bad coilpacks because you can damage you cats.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeeksAR
There was a service campaign to replace coil packs for some allroads. It started about 9 or 10 (?) months ago. My dealer just replaced them all when I had my (my2004) in for brakes and airbag.
I thought the coil pack recall was for 1.8T and 2.8l engines only. I figure if the coil packs lasted 9 years and 128,000 miles on my 2001, I can't imagine that there was something wrong with them. But, if they will replace them... I ask at the nearest dealer. Interestingly, was just at my nearest dealer parts desk inquiring after a few parts and ordering a few others. I gave them my VIN number but they didn't mention any outstanding recalls. Would they say something if there was?

In the mean time, any help on how one should deal with the hoses, etc. above the cylinder banks so I can get at the coil pack would be a big help.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just had all 6 of mine replaced 2 weeks ago under the recall for $0.00 at the dealership.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SeeksAR
and

Originally Posted by 05allroad
I just had all 6 of mine replaced 2 weeks ago under the recall for $0.00 at the dealership.

I did a recall search on the Audi USA website with my VIN number and a recall of the coil packs did not turn up. I'll have to call and ask about it. Also the 2 examples of the recalls mentioned above are recalls for 2004 and 2005 allroads. Mine is a 2001. I believe the coil pack on post-2002 (IIRC) allroads is different than the one on earlier allroads. So the recall may not apply to my 2001.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by allroadDC
I did a recall search on the Audi USA website with my VIN number and a recall of the coil packs did not turn up. I'll have to call and ask about it. Also the 2 examples of the recalls mentioned above are recalls for 2004 and 2005 allroads. Mine is a 2001. I believe the coil pack on post-2002 (IIRC) allroads is different than the one on earlier allroads. So the recall may not apply to my 2001.
Good point regarding the model year. I check my 05's VIN online and it indicated that my VIN was included on the recall campaign. Definitely check with AoA or a dealership.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The recall on Audi and VW models for coil packs is based on the US requirement that all manufacturers warranty their vehicles up to 5 years/100,000 miles for emissions standards. When the coils die, the vehicle will no longer pass emissions and no longer comply with US regulations. Audi/VW was taken to court and forced to fix the problems. I do not know if the class action suit addressed older models, or when the 5/100 requirement went into effect.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, sinc I havn't figured out what I should be doing with the lines and hoses that run on top of the cylinder bank, I haven't got around to swapping out the coil packs on the 2 and 5 cylinders.

However I did get around to replacing the throttle body boot, the 2 diverter values and the air filter. The throttle body boot was actually fine, but I put the new one in anyway. Air filter was dirty. Note to self: I need to figure out the proper way of putting on those pinch hose clamps (why can't they just use the ones with a screw??).

However after getting this all back together (and hoping those pinch hose clamps are not going to come back and haunt me) I took it for a test drive. Miraculously, the stumbling and misfiring is gone. I need to get the VAG-com back on it to see what's happening, but it is already a lot better. Maybe it was just the diverter valves that failed. Given that it was just misfiring on 2 cylinders (#2 and #5) and not a whole bank of cylinders I thought (apparently incorrectly) that it would the coil packs. Not sure I'll have to bother with the coil packs now, I'll see if VAG-com gives me additional reason to do so.

I discovered that the shop that did the 100K major service (belts, water pump, etc., etc.) left off one of the intercooler pipe bolts (driver side). It didn't help that in doing the TTB, I dropped the passenger side intercooler pipe bolt into a unreachable, mystery place in the engine bay. Anyone know what size these bolts are so I can buy a couple of replacements? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Adrian jhon
Each cylinder has a separate ignition coil, they cost around $170. each and are relatively easy to replace.
Who is this idiot scammer

Quick Reply: Coil pack replacement help