Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Collapsed Driver Side Front Suspension - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsed Driver Side Front Suspension - Please help!

Hello All-

I have an 04 Allroad with 86k miles. Four months ago I replaced the front passenger side suspension air bag.

Recently, the driver side has been sagging; when I start the car in the morning, the car appears to have no air in the front driver side suspension. It would raise once I started the car and everything would be fine.

One week ago the car didn't raise (again, front driver side only) and the warning lights went on for the suspension. I took it to the dealer; they called 5 minutes later to tell me it needed a new air bag, brake fluid, and said the car was leaking transmission fluid and gave me an estimate for almost $3,000. Since the brake fluid was replaced at 80k, and since there is no tranny leak (I know this), I took the car to my regular mechanic who is not familiar with this type of suspension. They have however, seemed to have run quite a few tests; here is what they found:

- the air bag holds air when it is pumped up
- the pump seems to be working
- the air lines do not appear to be leaking

Therefore, he says he thinks it's the "air distributor", at least that's what he called it. Therefore, whatever this item might be, he says the other susension points are pumping up just fine, just not the driver side front, and since the pump is fine, and the bag isn't leaking, he says this is it. Since the repair is almost $1,000, and since this is my daily driver (it's been at the shop for a week), I need help! Could it be a solenoid or relay? Thanks!