Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Coming up on 15K service - looking for suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming up on 15K service - looking for suggestions...

Hey all board members with Tiptronics:

I'm coming up on the 15K service. I've got a few items needing attention. One of them I am looking for some advice on how to handle with the dealer.

1. The infamous 45mph wobble.

I've read posts where many of you talked about having the TCM (Tranny Control Module - ?) replaced and that corrected the problem. Is that true? Did it correct the problem - or did it lessen the wobble? Was the TCM replaced or was a modified TCM put in its place? How did you get the dealer to replace the TCM?

If it was something else - please feel free to elaborate.

2. Another matter involves alignment. My ar is seriously pulling to the left. Tire wear looks okay, but I still think the alignment is off. Any thoughts here?

3. Gas mileage seems to be around 16 in the city. Not too sure if that's good or bad. Seems like it has gone down since 10K. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

4. I have been dealing with the drive by wire issue by driving in 4th in the city. Helps a bit. Has anyone had the dealer do anything that might positively impact the lag?

5. The last little problem is with the wiper blades. I had the recall taken care of and during the winter had new blades installed in front and rear. On the front, the passenger side doesn't seem to work as well as the drivers side. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what have you done (if anything) to correct it?

Again, I thank you all in advance for your comments.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:08 PM

16mpg is not bad. I get about 13 in the city.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:47 PM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default 15K service? I thought it was 10 & 20. However...

...here are some comments:

2. Get them to align it. I've had some push-back from the service rep, but a little persuading goes a long way here.

5. Tell 'em to put new blades on. They should do this without any problem. Mine don't even last the 10K service interval, so I just put new ones on myself; but that's the desert for you. HPH
Old 07-30-2002, 08:05 PM

Default Get the car aligned, rotate tires and balance wheels

My wobble reduced as result of above done by dealer. TCM was not changed. I have also had brake rotors replaced around 13K (you should be able to feel the shimmy if they are warped), and had O-rings for the front left strut replaced. (Symptom: suspension compressor came on every 3-5 minutes, car dropped 1/4 inch overnight). Other things you might want to consider is changing oil every 5K, cheap precaution...Mobil 1 0W30 should do it.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the input.

I'll focus on the alignment and take up the TCM issue with the dealer. I do oil every 5K already, and us the synthetic stuff. Appreciate your feedback.

So far the suspension has been fine. Periodic adjustments while driving or if the car has been sitting for several days. Nothing out of the ordinary since the car was new.