Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Confounding Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confounding Misfires

Hi all,

I have an 03 Allroad 2.7T (BEL). I know misfires on this car are common, but I can't seem to find anyone that has had quite my problem, so I hope someone can help!

I have been having the odd flashing check engine light ever since I bought the car (about 6 months), but it always went away again within a few seconds, with the only fault code being P0300 (multiple random misfire). It always happens on moderate to hard acceleration. I'd been kind of ignoring it because it wasn't causing any other problems and the car runs fine otherwise... and the CEL always goes off again... or it did anyway!

This morning on my way to work it did it again, but after flashing for a few seconds the CEL stayed on. I got the codes read on my way home and it read P0300, P0301 and P0302... but the engine still runs just fine. I'm at a loss as to what it is. I changed #1 COP in November last year. I would suspect it was that again, except as I understand it they either work or they don't, and mine seem fine now. Maybe injectors? Maybe O2 sensor? Maybe plugs (although they look fine)? Maybe a vacuum leak somewhere? Fuel filter? Loose nut behind the wheel?! Whatever it is, it's the intermittent part that gets me.

I'm a bit strapped for cash right now, so I don't want to get into changing too much stuff just to rule it out...

Any help greatly appreciated.

PS This car does NOT have the ICMs that the earlier cars have, it has the individual coil over plug thingumies.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have access to a VagCom, find out which cylinder is miss-firing.
Swap coil pack from different cylinder. Drive around. If you through a code and it's on the cylinder where you swapped the suspected bad one, you have a bad coil pack.
If you are getting a whole bank with issues, I think it would be safe to say you have an ICM issue. You say it doesn't have ignition control modules, but I thought we all did. 2003 uses BEL engines, yes? Maybe they didn't use ICM's.

Regardless, check that.
If you want to swap out all the coil packs (which is advised) maybe look into this:

http://www.034motorsport.com/ignitio...s-p-22156.html

Not sure if it will fit mate, so don't quote me.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have a bad coil pack OR crappy wiring to the coil pack. Also, you changed the coil pack, but was it a factory coil pack or aftermarket? Audi did have a coil pack recall on the Allroad with BEL engine, so you may want to check your VIN.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

09mehashaw: the misfires are on #1 and #2, hence the P0301 and P0302 codes... And no, I don't have ICMs. They switched to COPs sometime in the 03 model year, I think, to give a faster response time and also if one goes bad you lose one cylinder, not 3. It is a BEL motor (I said that in the first sentence of my post!) Thanks for trying though.

ezveedub: when I changed #1 coil pack I used aftermarket (half the price!) and I have already called Audi who told me my car has already been in for that recall so they're all the newer part number. Thanks also.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can't be much more help, but the APB engines with ICMs also have coils. Your ign amplifiers are just built into yours.

The random misfire would make me suspect that perhaps it could be related to something else, but specific cylinder misfires would point me there. Plugs...wiring to COPs....COPs themselves
Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have got the P0300 code before, so I guess it's possible it's from a prior event. It still seems strange that it would run fine if it's the COPs... I thought they either work or they don't. I think the plugs that are in there are iridium. I've heard there can be problems with them (although no idea what!). I have a spare set of double platinum, so I'll switch them and see if it cures it. While I'm there I'll swap coil packs around too.

Also, I read somewhere that you always get the P0300 code with any individual misfire code (e.g. P0301). Is this true?

Thanks all.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jim-bo
I have got the P0300 code before, so I guess it's possible it's from a prior event. It still seems strange that it would run fine if it's the COPs... I thought they either work or they don't. I think the plugs that are in there are iridium. I've heard there can be problems with them (although no idea what!). I have a spare set of double platinum, so I'll switch them and see if it cures it. While I'm there I'll swap coil packs around too.

Also, I read somewhere that you always get the P0300 code with any individual misfire code (e.g. P0301). Is this true?

Thanks all.
Anytime you get a misfire DTC, P0300 plus whatever cylinder(s) is detected is stored also as a DTC. I would swap the suspected coils to the bank 2 and use known good bank 2 cylinder coils where you have misfires. Also, check the plugs. I only trust the NGK platinums OR cheaper generic copper Bosch/NGKs will also work for testing. Iridium I'm not a fan of. If anything, swap the coils and plugs together and if the misfire moves, then the coils or plugs are the issue. If it still has misfires on the same cylinder, then check the coil wiring for possible high resistance (especially the ground wire for the coil). Injectors would be the other issue to suspect if the same cylinder misfires. Keep in mind, this is IF you have good compression and low leak down on the affected cylinders. Other thing I have seen is a worn out camshaft lobe. It has happened on the 2.8 30 valve and randomly causes misfires when it's just starting to wearing out. The lifter bucket will not be flat if this occurs. It will also wear the down if the came lobe is flattening out.