Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Considering a 110 000km A4 All Road

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering a 110 000km A4 All Road

Hi all, my wife is currently shopping for her next car. She's undecided between:
  • 2017-2019 Allroad Progressive
  • 2020 Q5 Progressive
  • 2021 Tiguan R Line Highline
In our area, these all go for about the same price (30k-37k CAD). The all road is extremely rare. Historically, we've owned cheap to maintain cars and I do my own work. I've driven VW for 10+ years...I get they have their "charm".

We love the Allroad, but it's the most expensive car of the lot, so we can't reasonably afford anything more recent than 2019 and with less than 80 000km

Would you be worried about a 2018 all road with 110 000km? It can be had for 30 000$ CAD, if I drive 6h to get it. It would be sold CPO by and Audi dealer.

For that money, I can get a 2021 Tiguan High Line R Line with less mileage.... so I'm torn between getting the car we want and getting the "smart choice"
I can get a 2020 Q5 with less mileage for only a few k more too.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

MacGyver, welcome aboard! How far away is the closest Audi service center?
Old 01-11-2024, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
MacGyver, welcome aboard! How far away is the closest Audi service center?
Thanks for the welcome!

Your question doesn't inspire confidence ...

Closest Audi Dealer is 110km away (1h). Closest VW dealer is 30km away, I'm unsure if that one does Audi service.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I just know if I were in a remote area, I'm buying a vehicle that be fixed locally and not require an overnight stay in a hotel due to a long journey.

I think I'd focus on a vehicle with a mfr's warranty and someone nearby.

Are you familiar with the excessive oil consumption issue with the 4 cylinder gas Audis?
Old 01-11-2024, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, I just know if I were in a remote area, I'm buying a vehicle that be fixed locally and not require an overnight stay in a hotel due to a long journey.

I think I'd focus on a vehicle with a mfr's warranty and someone nearby.
100 %
I'm hoping the car will be reliable enough that it won't need serious servicing during the CPO warranty. I haven't been to a mechanic in 22 years, so I'm confident I can address most issues, unless I'm locked out by not having the correct VAG tool.

Are you familiar with the excessive oil consumption issue with the 4 cylinder gas Audis?
Yeah, I read about that. I don't mind topping off the oil. I do mind an engine that eats its piston rings and leaks from valve stems.

I haven't been able to locate the cause of it (if it's serious or just normal for a boosted car). Finding the correct engine code for our region seems hard. It seems like it's the E888 engine.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There's a fatal design flaw with the oil control ring. It seems many suffer the oil consumption problem, often reaching 1 liter every 1000km or so. Even the cars that supposedly have been "fixed", haven't.
The following users liked this post:
MacGyverMan (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There's a fatal design flaw with the oil control ring. It seems many suffer the oil consumption problem, often reaching 1 liter every 1000km or so. Even the cars that supposedly have been "fixed", haven't.
Nuts. That would also affect the q5 then. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Your message leads me to believe 100kkm might be too much.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:58 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

The factory warranty is expired so there's no advantage in taking it to an Audi service center. Don't you have independent shops in your area? And to be honest, oil consumption is the blight on pretty much all new engine designs which utilize low friction piston rings.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Regarding the service center : I'd only go for the first year, since the car is sold CPO (comes with 1 year Audi warranty)

The rest of the time, I'll do my own thing. I guess the only other downside of having a dealer so far is if I need a dealer specific part.

Aside from the oil consumption issues, anything else which I should worry about? I'm used to cars going 300 000+km, so 100k wouldn't normally worry me...but I've never owned a high performance German machine ...just the TDIs
Old 01-11-2024, 12:56 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

I get that. But is the 1 year warranty truly an Audi warranty, or is it a 3rd party warranty. If it's the latter than you should be able to take it to any ASE certified shop. No worries if you want to drive to a shop an hour away.

I haven't owned any B9 long enough to know about any real issues with them. My previous car was a 2021 A4. The one before that was a B8 (2010 Avant). The engine was replaced at 80k miles for (you guessed it) oil consumption issues. The only other issue that car had was the steering rack at about 100k miles. I don't like buying used cars anymore for many reasons. But back when I did I wouldn't have had an issue with buying a 6-ish year old car with 60k miles as long as there are service records. At that point it would just come down to the negotiated price I could get it for.

Last edited by mikeru; 01-11-2024 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering a 110 000km A4 All Road