Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Continental CrossContact UHP

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental CrossContact UHP

Has anyone had any experience with the Continental CrossContact UHP tire on their allroad? It was finally time for me to order tires (35K miles from the originals) and I called TireRack to order the consensus best tire; the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Upon discussing my reasons for picking this tire with the salesman he told me that they wear rather quickly in the center and get noisy after they wear. He also indicated that they provide a pretty stiff ride. Since I wanted my cake and eat it too; high performance, good wet weather characteristics, quiet, smooth, etc, he thought that this new Conti would be my best bet. Apparently, this tire is a SUV performance tire. Comments?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You might want to consider this...

<A HREF="http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?step=details&source=brand&index= 11&productCodeIndex=28778">Best tire for the buck</A>
Old 03-12-2004, 06:59 PM

Default No experience w/ Continental, but great experience with Falken Ziex 512

I will admit, the ride is a little stiffer, but the handling is fantastic, and I've blasted through snow/rain with them awesomely. You'll find that they are clasified as a "value" tire, but Consumer Reports rated them #1 for all season performance, over much more expensive tires. So, they're just inexpensive...but good.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just fitted them about 1k ago...

I find them a big improvement on the OEM Pirellis. They feel much firmer and much quieter. I was never that dissatisfied with the Pirellis as many on this board, but now that I've experienced the Continentals, I realise how bad the Pirellis were.

I belive this tyre was developed especially for the AR by Continental. That's what the tyre dealer here in Ireland told me.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You may be right!

About Continental developing the CrossContact in the stock size for the allroad in that they only make this tire in 4 sizes. Perhaps they had specific cars in mind since the sizes seem otherwise random.

The other interesting thing is that when I did a search on the web for CrossContact UHP the hits that I got were almost all European (or at least non-USA). I am wondering if Continental is letting TireRack sell these slowly in America to see how it goes before they open it up.

Anyway, I am happy to hear that there is someone out there that has tried them and is happy. I am with you regarding the OEM tires. They don't seem that bad but I am willing to bet that I will be really happy when I swap them out. Thanks very much for your reply.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Conti Extreme Contact and I like them