Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Continuing saga of amount of oil to put in an allroad...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continuing saga of amount of oil to put in an allroad...

it isn't listed in any of the doc I have...not in the owner's manual or maintenance book.

But, not to worry, I checked it at first light today and they did NOT overfill it, they simply overcharged me

Great, they don't charge me for diagnostics, which is very nice, except they also can't fix my brakes or other issues but I pay for it in overpriced parts and oil...I guess I'm coming out ahead but I still have a car whose brakes squeal and a shudder (intermittant) and a vibration at highway speed and they "can't duplicate the problem"...they are starting to sound like the dealership they replaced for service....hopefully getting some help from QCRAZY our local audi guru It is my last hope for keeping this car.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Alrighty then, I'll weigh in. Oil is about 6.5 qts on a refill, see previos posts about oil level

Unfortunately you have to live with brake squeel. Sometimes it just can't be eliminated, with enough trial and error for rotors, surface finish and pad composition you may get lucky to have a good pedal and no noise. I prefer stopping over noise, my own squeel, if I can't stop it on my own car...well you get the idea. Now the vibration, is almost certainly a wheel balance problem, although possiblely an out of spec halfshaft. Audi's with the variable boost steering are VERY suseptable to ANY out of balance condition, up to 1 gram. Also tire selection is very trying as well, some will some won't. What tires do you have??? I tried the OEM Pirelli's, the OEM goodyears, and Michelin Pilot A/S's, ALL of them vibrated, all of them had isuues with runout, which the allroad is VERY susptable to due to the soft suspension bushings amplifing the effect. Now I have OEM RS4 rims and Kumho Excsta's (a cheap tire with unbeleiveable grip) that I mounted and balanced myself WITHOUT a road force machine, and they are perfect at any speed.(well at least to 145MPH) :0 The shudder I cant speak to, although an uncentered steering angle sensor will do ALL kinds of funky things. My snows are cheap Hankook Icebears on the factory double spokes, with the outer hubcap removed. Once again I did the balance and no problems. Most places will not calibrate there balances, relying on the factory quick calibration, which is fine for Chevys. A tire balanceer must be recalibrated any time it moves, is banged on the arbor, or a tire of very different profile from the tire it was calibrated with is done. Obviously this might be 2-3 times a day in a production shop which is why it's rarely performed even Yearly!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Thanks...I was just wanting to be able to refer to the amount if questioned...that was the reason

for asking for a page number in the manual or any other place, even in the Bentley which I am sure my indy must have (she hopes.

I ran some really pretty basic tires on it for two years...Republic Enterprise 225-55-R17 on the stock double spokes and had NO vibration and they were very sticky, even in snow and ice...but they are worn and I am traveling now with a new one out of the four, couldn't get it shaved (they laughed but did have it Road Force Balanced and have access to this at my local tire guy and he does it for a song so will do it several times a year if it will help...I have the Kumho's like yours on order with him and want to put them on yesterday but wanted to try to resolve these issues before as I didn't want to eat a new tire if these were issues that caused the belt to separate on my front right that I had to replace last month...I agree with you on the stopping vs. squealing but there has to be a less embarassing happy medium on that one too, but I have some ideas on that...I'm almost to the point of putting new tires all around, RF balance them all and hope that cures all of this and then praying the squeal goes away..remember I also believe fervantly in Santa, the Easter Bunny and magic fairies so if all goes well in a couple of weeks all of this will be history and I'll have back my beautiful green/green machine

As always thanks Sam for your response...just remember if you're ever this way beverages, dinner is on me You do so much for this community and I feel helpless in the repaying department, but just remember that Iowa isn't that far away....and you'd love it here
Old 11-03-2006, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

5.5 year old allroad w/cracked outer CV boots, do you replace inside boots too?(even with no cracks)
Old 11-03-2006, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can you tell if squeal is coming from front or rear(both)? Same question to side?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:55 PM

Default Both front...just replaced with Zimmerman standard rotors and Mintex pads...

in theory bedded "correctly" per my indy...they squeal mostly when warm...makes pulling into the gated parking lot with an attendant really embarassing...when you have to apologize for your car to a parking lot attendant it is a bit demoralizing...also at my daughters private Christian school...they all drive nondescript vans so I get looked at anyway
Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM

Do you want my reccomendation or what I would do on my car??
Old 11-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Default The odd tire is the source of your problem. Difference in rolling diameter is probably

causing your problem. You must have less than 5% difference in diameter according to the factory spec. My experience has been tires with only 4-5000 miles difference have been problematic. Unfortunately this car is expensive and cranky, replacement in pairs per axle is my recommendation, and then only if the tires were fairly new, reason being going around turns, the car will shake and rumble if front to rear diameters are too far off. Remember we have TorSen diffs, all gears, no clutches. If you exceed the ability of the diff, to compensate for the difference in inner and outer turning circles funky things will result.The Haldex, and others have clutches that allow SLIPPAGE, we don't have that.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, what would you do, I figure when axle is out the inner should be replaced, but I wanted your

opinion. You could say inside never crack for all I know. My allroad is starting to make some bad vibration noises when under load going up hill around sharp turns, so I'm thinking maybe some of the CV joints are going bad too.(hopefully something simple like that) : )
Old 11-03-2006, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've heard so much bad about Mintex, why did you pick them, cost?

Quick Reply: Continuing saga of amount of oil to put in an allroad...