Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

cutting out on left hand turns

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting out on left hand turns

I have an 03 Allroad 2.7t with 86k on it. On semi sharp left hand turns (turning left from a red light or just a slightly sharp left turns) it feels like the engine misfires or cuts out while accelerating. I can coast through the turns with no problems, but as soon as I go to accelerate it shutters,cuts out or loses power (hard to explain the feeling). It also has just started to do it on right turns but not as bad.
No abs or esp lights flash and I dont have a VAG to see if its throwing any codes.
Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try removing your ignition key from your key chain. The weight of the extra keys swinging below the steering column can cause this. Heavy key chains can wear out an ignition lock cylinder...

This is were I would start.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope someone has a better suggestion for a solution to this. My car does this too on left turns under acceleration. It's feels a lot like hitting the rev-limiter. BTW, I have one house key (about 10 grams) on my key ring; don't think that's it.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I dont have any keys or key chain connected to my audi key.
It bogs and shakes kinda around the turns.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old_School_Audi
This is were I would start.
Just trying to rule out the easy things first. This is more common than you might think....

Is it any worse when the tank is almost empty as compared to full?
What does the tach do when it cuts out? Do the RPM's drop or stay the same?

Last edited by Old_School_Audi; 02-13-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default not sure if this helps but anyway...

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. I say this because;
I experienced the same issue with my (sold) 96 Eagle talon turbo AWD on hard right turns - like hesitation, slight bucking, or mis fire. The AWD talon fuel tank is shaped like a saddle bag and has one fuel pump located on passenger side of the tank. I would notice (of course) more when the car was at or below half tank. Anyway what I did was ordered a dual walbro kit to fix the issue.

Originally Posted by Mike B
I hope someone has a better suggestion for a solution to this. My car does this too on left turns under acceleration. It's feels a lot like hitting the rev-limiter. BTW, I have one house key (about 10 grams) on my key ring; don't think that's it.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DOALLAR
It sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me.
It could also be worn motor mounts allowing the engine to shift and pull on a electrical connecter.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

can you make it do this while parked,ie turn the wheel sharply and rev the engine,is it ok when setting off straight,if power good in a straight line,i doubt its fuel supply.is there any noise when this happens.have seen seized alternators cause power and no crank situations,is there a steering joint seizing,power steering pump failing,this would drag the engine down....could be a bad wire in the steering coloum,you need to scan for some codes to get any further I think.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In all honesty I havnt had the fuel tank filled up all the way. But I will have to try it out and see. It does sorta feel like I get no pedal response when it happens. We just got a bad snow storm last night, but when I leave later ill pay closer attention to the rpms and such. Dosnt happen when parked with wheels turned or taking off..only accelerating out of left turns..I can coast threw turns with little throttle with no problems, but I have to slow way down.
Will a shop charge me to scan it?

Last edited by Coupe1; 02-14-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Coupe1
Will a shop charge me to scan it?
Some shops might charge for a scan. Parts stores (Advance, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc.) generally scan for free but unless the scanner detects pending codes, nothing will show up if the CEL is not lit.

Quick Reply: cutting out on left hand turns