Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

CV Boot Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot Replacement

So i am in the middle of replacing my outer CV boot kit on my AR and i have managed to break the little plastic spacer that goes between the CV joint itself and the cup washer on the smaller end of the boot, of course the boot kit i have only comes with the boot, grease, sprint slip, cup washer and the 2 book clips..

Does anyone know where i might be able to get just the plastic spacer, i am sure the dealer will sell it to me as long as i buy a new boot kit from them

Thanks

Russell
Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont understand WHY people waste time doing a boots. The joint is already compromised. Its got moisture and dirt in it and already has worn from even a few miles of driving with the boot ripped. Not to mention, a boot kit is like 25 bucks. A BRAND NEW a axle is 56$. And you spend WAY More time trying to do a boot. What a waste of effort. just go buy an axle. And dont listen to these people who think anything not audi OEM axle is junk. i replace with new aftermarket axles on a near daily basis on these cars and yet to EVER have a comeback.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
I dont understand WHY people waste time doing a boots. The joint is already compromised. Its got moisture and dirt in it and already has worn from even a few miles of driving with the boot ripped. Not to mention, a boot kit is like 25 bucks. A BRAND NEW a axle is 56$. And you spend WAY More time trying to do a boot. What a waste of effort. just go buy an axle. And dont listen to these people who think anything not audi OEM axle is junk. i replace with new aftermarket axles on a near daily basis on these cars and yet to EVER have a comeback.
Not every torn CV boot means a dead joint. Also, OEM joints aren't $56, much less a quality axle. You'll see how many people install those junk reman axles and have issues 6 months to 1 year later. Fine if you're going to sell the car, sucks if you keep the car. And yes, those junk aftermarket axles do come back, so no clue where you've never seen any of them come back.

OP, the plastic dish spacer only comes with the new CV joint or separately. Don't try to install the joint without it, as the joint can come off the shaft. It's used to keep the the joint tensioned against the locking clip. If its loose, the joint will come off when turning.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

The boot may be compromised, but I disagree that the actual joint would be as well. I can't say I've replaced hundreds of these boots or axles, but I've done nearly a dozen and have seem both; extreme deterioration and absolute zero deterioration of CV joint. I do however agree that the amount of work involved to replace just the boot itself can sometimes be more than a full swap of entire assembly (vehicle dependant). Audi axles are pretty straight forward to do a full swap, so in this case I would swap full axle if as u say full axles can be had for less than $60 ?? Be careful though about applying this rule hard/fast to every car, as axle cost very greatly from mfr to mfr. Although we are specifically discussing Audi, I have owed other brand vehicles where just the Inner Driver alone cost between $110 - $150 each, CV joint $80 - $100 each, tripod bearing $50 - $70 each, and full axle replacement being nearly $350 - $400 each. If full axle cost $60 - $70 then sure replace the whole axle, but if cost are anywhere near some of the higher figures I listed, then a determination needs to be made on whether or not full replacement is warranted (based on cost, deterioration, etc) or can a simple $25 boot kit put you back on the road.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Just to i'm not missing something, you are not 100% sure where i can get the plastic spacer?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes 100%, its called buy a new one. Stop wasting your time saving 30-50 dollars.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why would i replace something that is perfectly serviceable, if you would have bothered asking before making the assumption i am some sort of ape then you would have been told that the CV joint was inspected and found to have no signs of excessive wear..

You forgot to tell me where to get JUST THE SPACER!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rfarmery
Why would i replace something that is perfectly serviceable, if you would have bothered asking before making the assumption i am some sort of ape then you would have been told that the CV joint was inspected and found to have no signs of excessive wear..

You forgot to tell me where to get JUST THE SPACER!
The spacer would be a dealer item. I haven't seen any CV boot kits with them. Other option would be a junk yard that you could find a bad axle and pull it from one of those. It's not a item most people need, so it's not an abundant part laying around.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks ezveedub, i'll call the dealer in the morning.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I actually just looked at a pic of the OEM GKN CV boot kit and it appears to come with the plastic cone washer. It seems the EPMI kit has it also. You may want to look into these kits as an option also.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.asp...=441-498-203-A
http://www.europaparts.com/cv-boot-kit-441498203a.html
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/441498203A/ES1478/

Quick Reply: CV Boot Replacement