Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

CV Boot Tear: How to tell if it can be re-booted or should be replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot Tear: How to tell if it can be re-booted or should be replaced

I replaced my rotors and pads on my '02 allroad and noticed that both front outer cv boots are torn. Ever since having a horrible experience with the local dealer, I have decided to do my own repairs. Said experience occurred approximately six months ago and I only now recall (and understand) that the service guy told me that my cv boots were torn. Knowing that they have been torn for at least that time frame, but I do not have any telltale noises of CV joint issues, how can I tell if I should simply replace the axle assembly or just regrease the join and reboot it?

Look forward to any replies.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it's the outer joint my opinion is that replacing the boot would be fine. Inner would require more thorough inspection, any vibration in the car?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes if you have a vibration that stops when you ease off the gas, replace the axle assembly, your inner joints are gone. 6 months is a long time to have the outer's exposed. There would not be much harm in buying 2 boots kits at about 20.00 each. When you are cleaning them before repacking them if they appear scored at all they will need to be replaced before too long.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In response to the latter two replies, there is (surprisingly) no vibration or clicking when I drive (full turns, included). Also, the boot replacement would be for the outer cv joints. I am torn (forgive the pun) between replacing the boots and replacing the axle assembly. The former would be cheaper, but makes me wonder if I am just buying myself some time and putting too much effort into something that I will need to replace, anyway. The latter is more expensive, but would be less time consuming and provide me with a peace of mind that I may not get with the former option.

I have been reading a lot on this topic and this is the normal dialog I find. I now just need to make the decision as to which option I will choose.

Thanks for your time on this. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or comments.

Chonks
Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

How many miles on the current axles? Also if you did replace the complete axle what brand would you use? Many say that OEM is the only way to go. You may decide to replace the axle, use an inferior aftermarket brand & then end up worse off and have less Money in your pocket.

Just food for thought.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by samm
How many miles on the current axles? Also if you did replace the complete axle what brand would you use? Many say that OEM is the only way to go. You may decide to replace the axle, use an inferior aftermarket brand & then end up worse off and have less Money in your pocket.

Just food for thought.

I believe these are the OEM axles. The vehicle has 65k and change on it. I have been looking around for ideas on which axles to use. I have been reading a lot about raxles lately. Everything I have read about them/their axles has been phenomenal. I will likely give them a shot.