Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

CV boots or more?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV boots or more?

Just got back from a 150 mile country drive. 2005 Alroad, 2.7T. New Arnot Gen II in front, new Ziex 912 all around. Car drives like a dream, EXCEPT slight "knocking" if from dead stop i gun it while turning. Right or left. Had Audi look car over a couple weeks ago, told me CV Boots. Took to a local guy, told same, immediately told me i would need new half shafts. His guy went for a half block ride, told me once the boots are cracked it only took "seconds" for the additional damage to occur.

Mechanic nice guy, had a few things done by him on old 2001 A6, but i'm wondering about reference to "seconds" for additional damage. Best thing about mechanic is he is 1 block from my office, I live in a small town and do not have a lot of choices. Honestly, on country drive today drove like a dream, since visit to Audi i just dont do what it takes to get the vibration or "knocking" in the front end, I drive very very tame. 1 1/2 miles each way home to work.

Any suggestions that can be passed on?? I'm a finance guy, not much mechanical knowledge, Audi's assesment of car a month ago was the CV boots on an overall visual inspection i asked for, all in all said pretty tight car, only $67K miles, i've had for 9 months. I'm leaning toward putting off repair and see if i can get second opinion in next couple days, maybe call Audi back and speak with tech. ? Always grateful for advice. If you EVERY need to know a single thing about FHA or VA, I'm your guy!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So are there torn CV boots? Is there grease coming out?

If you're losing the lubricant inside the boots, you're getting dirt inside, which will ruin the CVs.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
So are there torn CV boots? Is there grease coming out?

If you're losing the lubricant inside the boots, you're getting dirt inside, which will ruin the CVs.
"Cracked" Boot per Audi dealer visual. Local Mechanic said count on "half shafts" first words out of his mouth. I first thought that is a maintenance item for around 85K, so what the heck, but it may be two years before I put that many miles on it.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fhaguy
"Cracked" Boot per Audi dealer visual.
nothing leaking on my garage floor, not a spot. Suggestion was replace soon but no caveat other than as you advised on cv joints. estimate of repair including cv joint? i'm thinking have nothing to do with half shafts, but that just shows you how lacking i am. dennis
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just having a cracked boot will not ruin your half-shafts. I have replaced many torn cv joint boots that were torn for several months likely, and never once had a problem with the cv joint.

Also, if a joint is bad, you can just replace the cv joint instead of doing the whole axle.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

People have had great success with the Napa axles due to their warranty, But the Better ones would be from Raxles ( Raxles.com )
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Just having a cracked boot will not ruin your half-shafts. I have replaced many torn cv joint boots that were torn for several months likely, and never once had a problem with the cv joint.

Also, if a joint is bad, you can just replace the cv joint instead of doing the whole axle.
Is this Allroad experience or Audi experience or just general experience?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi experience. A4 B5, A6 C5, and now the Allroad.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks so much to all! I am not opposed to any necessary repairs, I guess my biggest bell went off when i was told that "within seconds" of a cv boot tear that ultra damage not COULD but WOULD occur. I am very grateful for the input, CV boots are certainly not a dealer only item, i'm taking job to another local shop that does tires, wheels, alignment and stuff for CV boots, pretty much because of the "seconds" comment. Audi told me CV boots only a month ago, and i've never known a dealer to minimize a repair opportunity. I was quoted a price of around $440 and i'm using that as a target. Thanks so much for all of the input from everyone on this board. Off topic, although i am not much help in automotive tech advice, I have been for nearly 30 years,a residential lender with strong emphasis on goverment products, FHA and VA. Anybody anytime want the best free advice possible, I'm your guy. Thanks so much again. thefhaguy@gmail.com dennis
Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fhaguy
Thanks so much to all! I am not opposed to any necessary repairs, I guess my biggest bell went off when i was told that "within seconds" of a cv boot tear that ultra damage not COULD but WOULD occur. I am very grateful for the input, CV boots are certainly not a dealer only item, i'm taking job to another local shop that does tires, wheels, alignment and stuff for CV boots, pretty much because of the "seconds" comment. Audi told me CV boots only a month ago, and i've never known a dealer to minimize a repair opportunity. I was quoted a price of around $440 and i'm using that as a target. Thanks so much for all of the input from everyone on this board. Off topic, although i am not much help in automotive tech advice, I have been for nearly 30 years,a residential lender with strong emphasis on goverment products, FHA and VA. Anybody anytime want the best free advice possible, I'm your guy. Thanks so much again. thefhaguy@gmail.com dennis

Totally appreciate the info/knowledge Dennis. Very nice and humble of you to offer...

Quick Reply: CV boots or more?