Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Darn stupid idiots...almost got broadsided this morning..Thanks to quattro, ESP and driving skills

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Darn stupid idiots...almost got broadsided this morning..Thanks to quattro, ESP and driving skills

I was able to contain the situation...but it was a very, very close call.
Some idiot of a Limo driver heading downhill on a side road in a Lincoln TC towards a Stop sign, which I'm about to pass by on the main street at some place in the Watchung Mountains.

He came down on my right hand side, slipping and sliding all over the place and about 100ft from the Stop sign he had to obey.

I can tell you - he didn't make it, not a chance to bring this tank to a stop.
You really can't see far around this corner but luckely I noticed something big and black coming down the road, and way too fast in my judgment.

So as a precaution I engage ESP and slow down a little...zoooom...here he goes, sliding across the intersection and sideways onto main street only a couple of ft in front of me. His cars tail end was heading towards me, totally out of control.

A quick avoidence move with the ar and back on the throttle took care of this situation.
If I had not paid attention and just focused on the main road I was driving on, he would have t-boned right into me, the hill he came down has at least a grade of 10-12%, and with Summer tires on the LTC he should not have been driving at all.

Be safe out there and keep your distance ;-)
Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said you "engaged ESP"? Does that mean you normally drive with it off?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some years back the definition of ESP in the snow was the FUN Button....so it has to be off ;-).

And yes, you've observed correct, I usually turn the ESP off....I'm not to keen about if a Computer tells me that the cars physical limit has been reached.
I want to find that out by myself...if you know what I mean...even with ESP off, there is still Quattro. Sorry, but I'll prefer "old school" driving ;-)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I only disengage the ESP when I'm messing around in a parking lot..

In an emergency situation reaction time is everything. Taking time to turn on the ESP makes no sense to me.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Some years back the definition of ESP in the snow was the FUN Button....so it has to be off ;-).

I think I saw something in the manual where it says that to turn ESP back on you must first turn off your engine.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd. If you're too cool for ESP, might as well disable ABS, power steering & power brakes while

you're at it.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

So how long does it take for that ESP to "Re-engage"?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are some snow situations where you should disengage ESP IIRC. Of course my owners manual is in

my allroad which I haven't had for 3 weeks now. ABS is not great in snow by a long shot either, and I think that was the reason for disengaging ESP.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Forgive me for saying this, but ...

If you think your driving skills can outperform your ESP system, your name must be Michael Schumacher or you're living in a dreamworld
Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ESP should be disengaged if you're stuck in the snow, but under...

normal driving conditions it'll save your butt.

Quick Reply: Darn stupid idiots...almost got broadsided this morning..Thanks to quattro, ESP and driving skills