Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Das Beast, 3.0T Conversion Update. Dawn of Darkness Draws Near; Something Wicked This Way Comes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At some point, yes. But if the cooler is doing its job, isn't there then a diminishing loss/power?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The extra heat comes from the engine which is absorbed by the engine cooling system and also goes

out the exhaust. I don't see how the extra heat is put into the drivetrain?

The heat loss from the engine won't show up on either a chassis or engine dyno.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You've just answered the question. Think for a second...why does the fluid get hot?

Where does the energy that is making the fluid hot come from?

The energy used to heat the transmission case, gears, and fluid is energy from your engine that never makes it to the wheels. Instead, it's wasted energy that becomes driveline loss.

If you spun a transmission with your hand, it would never get above room temp. Put a load through it, and it will heat up very quickly.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default if loss stays at a static percentage...

say 25%... 25% of 200 is only 50, whereas 25% of 400 is 100...

even though the percentage is the same, the amount of energy being lost (to heat) doubles, so you need the extra cooling.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't change, just playing devil's advocate to your "cooling" argument.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I thought they were talking about Drivetrain loss/heat. Not engine.

Drivetrain energy loss = Drivetrain heat and noise.

as we have discussed before, I think all of the above (Drivetrain energy loss/heat) will increase as you transfer more power through the gears. However (as you have said), a 50% increase in power doesn't equals anything close to a 50% increase in drivetrain loss.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I'll volunteer to shoot and cut some HD video of it when it gets back to SD...

If sarge is willing, of course.

something along the lines of <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ksr6XksZc">this</a>, maybe?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He's talking about driveline coolers, meaning transmission or differential...

As I said, the more load you put through a transmission, the more the transmission will heat up. Heat is wasted energy...it's energy the engine produces that never makes it to the wheels. It's a loss.

Just as System_S4k said, high powered cars (and trucks to tow heavy loads) all need heat exchangers and coolers to keep their drivelines from overheating. All this heat is wasted energy that increases the driveline loss. Yet, you can spin a transmission easily with your bare hand. If you hooked up a bicycle with the proper gearing, you could even spin a transmission to highway speeds, putting out less than 1 hp in the process.

You have to consider why a transmission heats up under load. Gear teeth actually slide against each other. When you put your hands together and lightly rub, you don't feel anything. If you press your hands together and rub, you'll feel heat forming. The same principle applies to driveline gears. The more force you put through them, the harder the teeth slide against each other creating more friction, and the more heat is produced which is nothing more than wasted energy and drivetrain loss.

Now, this doesn't say a percentage is the most accurate method of calculating driveline loss. It isn't...although it is more accurate than assuming a fixed value that doesn't change. You have three frictional conditions to contend with (asperity, hydrodynamic, and mixed) as well as friction from all the seals. It's complicated to say the least.

One thing is for sure though, the first law of Thermodynamics guarantees that driveline loss cannot be fixed as the system will heat up when power input is increased.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Yes I should do that at some point, for sure...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM

And now I can do it, while pulling my boat. :-)
Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default no, the cooler just gets the heat away from the components that it's trying to cool

it doesn't mean that less heat (friction) is being generated, just that it's being diverted elsewhere.

take, for instance, the exhaust fan above your stove. Cook your meal with it off and your kitchen will get hot.

Turn it on, and your kitchen will cool off... but the temperature that your stove or oven is cooking your food at does not change.

Not the most accurate analogy, but it's a start.

Quick Reply: Das Beast, 3.0T Conversion Update. Dawn of Darkness Draws Near; Something Wicked This Way Comes...