Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Dealer visit report: TPMS & sun visor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer visit report: TPMS & sun visor replacement

I have 47K miles on the car. Return visit to fix two items identified earlier that required parts to be ordered. I often have been getting a warning beep and warning symbol saying my Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is inop. Service advisor said there is a battery for the sensor located on the inside of the tire valve. Removed and replaced and all is well. Worries me that I have 3 other ones with old batteries that may need replacement after my warranty runs out.

The plastic on the sunvisor that clips into the latch on the headliner cracked and fell off. Last time I was in they had ordered the wrong color sunvisor. This time they ordered something that wasn't even a sunvisor. My service advisor was upset at the parts department. Said next time, he'd verify the correct part had come in before calling me.

Still love my car. Still think for my needs it is the best. Hope it lasts forever.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you plan to keep it, as you imply, do you have an extended service contract? Curious as to

your thoughts. Some who wrench go it alone, others like the comfort of the insurance (me!). Batteries and trim would not be covered under anything, but it's those big ticket items that already got me twice under our plan, thankfully.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Extended service contract? I accept the risk of going without.

Insurance (warranty) covers risk. But there is a cost to buy the insurance to cover that risk. I accept the risk of no warranty knowing the costs that could occur versus the known cost in premiums I'd pay the warranty provider. I evaluated the cost / benefit and choose to go without an extended warranty. It much like placing a bet: The warranty provider thinks it will pay less in claims than the premium I pay them while the customer / buyer (me) wants the security of knowing if something expensive happens the warranty will hopefully cover it. I did price several warranties and it seems ~$3,000 is the going rate for full coverage to 100K miles.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you have a tip or 6spd??

If you have a tip and it hasn't been replaced I'd get the warranty... I went through the same thought process as you and got burned. Plus I do most of my own wrenching.

A good used tip tranny with torque converter runs approx 2350 shipped. After new fluids and filters you're looking at $2700.00 before labor.

If your torque converter hasn't been replace under warranty you're sitting on a time bomb IMHO..
Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tip and yes I'm a touch worried but I accept the risk. and the air springs...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's cool. I was interested to know. I'm on the other end of that spectrum, and

am running in the black on the allroad policy after only one year. I got the S6 coverage, too, even though it may not pay. I would bet the allroad alone justifies the cost of both cars' policies over time. I'll see.
Incidentally, a better cost is about 24-2600 range for 100,000 miles. Still not cheap!
Keep driving happy.