Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Decision time

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision time

I wanted to post an update of my car-buying process. I'm sure there'll be strong opinions here, but I like that.

At this point after several each Volvo XCs, Saab 9-5s and a few random SUVs, I'm down to deciding between a 2001 MBZ E320 4Matic wagon and the aforementioned 2002 2.7T tip allroad. The Benz is a mechanic's car, all service records, a few major fixes under warranty, no issues at all. 99K miles for under $12K (as a private party sale it's $3-4K cheaper than it would be at a dealer). The allroad is also in perfect shape, 47K miles for about $19K at an Audi dealer near me. Both are roomy, quiet, ideal for my needs (this is a second car for me, winter driver/summer hauler).

My take is the Benz will be solid if staid, plenty roomy, comfortable to a fault, though not as much fun as the Audi. The money is an issue of course - it's not a small savings between the two. I'm leaning toward the E320 for that reason, and may pull the trigger this weekend. Is this an apples and oranges comparison? What do you guys think?

BTW - I talked to a 3-year allroad owner I saw in a parking lot the other day. He raved about the car as I expected, loves it. One of the questions I asked him was how often he uses the leveling feature. "Never once," he said. This is not a criticism of the vehicle, but it made me wonder if it's then an unnecessary and pricey feature...

Thanks to all,
Gene

2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6MT laser red, almost stock
1995 Isuzu Rodeo LS, on the way to someone else
Old 01-26-2008, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default MassDriver, it has maybe more to do with what you want to use the car for.

I have had my allroads for 6 years now, 145k on the clock, and have used every featrue that it has (winter pack, summer pack, nav, an on). If there is one problem it's that you will not be able to leave it alone.

It's like the Hottie that keeps flerting with you (soon or later your going to touch it).

as for the E class, I also have a friend that oh so wanted an allroads, but went the cheep way too and he has been very happy with it...but does he love it...No. it's just a tool.

Mark.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I would save the money and go with the MB. If the car is an occational

driver no need to get involved with all the extra stuff with the allroad. Personally I love the adjustable suspension. During snow storms when I don't have a chance to clear the driveway I raise the car up and out I go.

Does the benz have a timing chain instead of a belt? Is a 2001 benz a good year avoiding their electrical gremlins?

The allroad is maintenance heavy and if you don't wrench the can be very expensive. If the benz is the same then you start with 7K in pocket to put towards fixes.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:53 AM

Default I'm surprised the three year old didn't like the heated seats in back:):) Just kidding>>

I think when you are looking at two cars like this, that let's face are not in the appliance category it is more a question of passion. And if that doesn't figure into the equation then just go with your gut feeling and I am sure they would both be adequate for your needs. You do mention summer hauler...if you "haul" to anything remotely off road/cabin etc just check out the ground clearance on the MB as that can be an issue and quite honestly the reason I HAVE my allroad is to avoid the tip over factor in an SUV but still be able to clear snow and handle the occasional gravel road and off road picnic/winery trips. I can if I choose also set it in 4 and haul out to the back pasture but I mostly have a 4X4 truck for that. Good luck whichever you choose.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:54 AM

Default keep in mind the mileage, 99K vs. 47K...

I also own an E350 sedan. Great car, but no "fun factor". Allroad is a much more fun and responsive car. I use the different levels often, depending on the driving conditions. My parents own an older E350 wagon and also love it. M/B wagon has a little more room but feels a lot bigger than the AR. The M/B will still feel solid after 100K, but you're still dealing with a car with 100K miles. My experience with 2 prior M/B ML's is they get expensive to maintain once the mileage gets up there (but you do know a good mechanic that knows the car). The allroad will also have some expensive maintenance issues before you hit 100K (air springs, CV boots, timing belt). I'd go with the low mileage allroad, IF you can swing the extra $. See if you can get a good deal on an extended warranty on the allroad to cover most of these issues. Keep in mind that neither will have much of a resale value down the road, if that's an issue. FYI, I got the M/B to replace the allroad, but am too attached to the allroad to let it go (it's that good of a car!).
Old 01-26-2008, 05:56 AM

Default You're both right

Thanks for the input xtree and moto. This is a 2nd vehicle for several purposes, none of which involves passion (I liked the flirting reference though :-) It's meant to be a tool - for carrying ski, camping, and sporting equipment, Home Depot runs, trips to the nursery (plants, not babies), and going out occasionally with other couples. My G35 coupe is for the exhilarating drives on winding roads (though it can hold two golf bags - barely).

I'm not (so) put off by the mileage on the MB since I'll only put 8-10K/year on it. 2001 was a good year for the E320 wagons, many styling updates from the 1998-2000 models. No electrical problems I was able to learn about online, apart from a common one - failing pixels on the dash readouts. That was fixed under warranty in this car a few years ago (with a better one) and it's been fine since. And yes, it has a timing chain.

I do like the idea of saving $7K up front, and that alone will help to maintain domestic harmony, if you know what I mean :-)
Old 01-26-2008, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default G35.... is that like a Honda?

<ul><li><a href="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1906927378622364110&amp;q=Italian+Car+Salesman&amp ;total=61&amp;start=0&amp;num=10&amp;so=0&amp;type =search&amp;plindex=0">isn't that like a Honda?</a></li></ul>
Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re: G35.... is that like a NISSAN?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Audi!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I absolutely love my allorad, but ...

the suspension is its number one weakness. Two suspension air bags in the past year at $900 each. There are other small repairs that will need to be done, However, I'm sure a Benz with 99K miles will start eating you out of house and home as well. The AR is going to be a lot more fun to drive. Plus, it just looks that much cooler!

Quick Reply: Decision time