Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Does anyone have a how-to on disasembling the center arm rest? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a how-to on disasembling the center arm rest? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you mean to remove it...?

Had to go hunting for lost pens, a battery, and coins that fell down the E-brake lever hole a few times in the past. So this has been done before....

You really ought to do some more searching of the audiworld special projects archives before you take my advice below. There was a project to add a cigarette lighter adapter under the arm rest, and maybe an integrated cellphone retrofit which included some great pics of the arm rest guts.

I have dug pretty deep to get down to the brake cable, so maybe some of these items don't need to be touched, but here goes....read "MAJOR CAVEAT" here.

Start by pulling out the air vent box for your rear seat passengers. Yes, the hot/cold air vent that they see under the center arm rest when viewed from the back seats. Friction clips hold it in. You can wrap some tape around a small pick or hook (to protect the finish), insert into the vent and pull straight toward the rear of the vehicle. Go slow, of course. When it pops out, you will need to disconnect the electrical connector (rear cig ligheter) so you can move the vent out of the way. You may also need to pull out the black plastic rectangular air vent tube. A small plastic finger tab may hold it in; wiggle it, just a little bit...Your goal is to get to the rear bolt that holds the arm rest down.

Then remove the fuzz coated plastic tray in the "junk holder" cubby under the arm rest. It's just sitting there by the will of God and some gravity. If you can't get a pick under it, you might try sucking it straight up with the end of the vacuum cleaner. You should be able to see the front bolt that holds the arm rest down. (Turn off the vacuum cleaner...that noise is annoying).

When you remove both bolts, you shold be able to move the arm rest. But you might also have to pull up the wood trim around the arm rest pedestal before it will come out. The base is pretty big.

I don't think you need to remove the wood trim on the brake lever. But if you do, there is a tiny screw under a tiny plastic cover near the tip of the letter, on the driver's side. Once removed, the wood trim and plastic sleeve on which it is glued, sort of rotate up and away, off the lever.

That's enough to get you into trouble.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cool, thanks so much! Looks like I'll be doing this next weekend
Old 06-26-2006, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See the pics from my Ipod Icelink install (link in my sig).
Old 06-26-2006, 08:50 AM

Default I'm not sure I'll ever need to do this, but I think you win...

the most entertainingly (is that a word?) written "how to" write up I've read...thanks for all the good info guys
Old 06-26-2006, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removal:

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/388320.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/388320.phtml</a>
Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, what gragravar said in his Icelink install. Only one bolt.

I was recalling too much of my center console diving experiences where I had to remove the whole bracket into which the arm rest is bolted.

So just pull that ole airbox and plastic duct out of the way and you can get at the one bolt for the armrest.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'll have to stop posting so late at night.

Sleepiness can decrease one's creative writing inhibitions. Also makes wifey grumpy from the fan noise and glow from the laptop.

Now lemme check the time down there in the corner of my screen...Oops!