Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Door not shutting

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door not shutting

I thought I would ask if others are having trouble with the drive door shutting all the way. My door has been acting up for a while, especially now during the colder weather. This morning the door simply would not shut closed, would just bounce off. Before I start pooring in liquids and screwing around with it I thought I would ask if this is common and what you all have found as a good solution. I really don't feel like taking the car in for this one, I've had so many little things go wrong lately that I deserve to get a pass with some quick fix here. Any input appreciated.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KekePerkele
I thought I would ask if others are having trouble with the drive door shutting all the way. My door has been acting up for a while, especially now during the colder weather. This morning the door simply would not shut closed, would just bounce off. Before I start pooring in liquids and screwing around with it I thought I would ask if this is common and what you all have found as a good solution. I really don't feel like taking the car in for this one, I've had so many little things go wrong lately that I deserve to get a pass with some quick fix here. Any input appreciated.
As it gets colder, the seal harden and require more force to compress which results in door trying to bounce off the frame quicker and with more force when trying to close it. As it gets colder, the lubricant inside hardens and in addition any moisture forms ice... both make the latch to move slower and with less force.

The locking mechanism is supposed to catch the door and keep pressed against the seals until you open the door.

Due to factors above, the result is latch not being able to catch the striker on door frame in time...or at all if the latch can't close at all.

There are two things you should do before going in for latch replacement:
1) Use rubber conditioner all around the door frame to bring rubber back to its springiness
2) Use dry lubricant and spray latch mechanism

Then keep closing and opening the door and spraying the latch until it starts closing again.

Last edited by thejulex; 01-19-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

well, I will do both above and lets see what happens, but what I find odd is that "more force" does not help, I've had this problem now for few months and what I already learned is that the way to close the door is very slowly, sometimes even making it click past the first stop and then just pulling for final close click. I am hoping the mechanism is not bent or misaligned (can it be?) that would require another trip to dealer, enough few hundred dollar fixes here and there. As said before, I love the car, just went for Arnott coilovers at least eliminated the constant fixing of airs-suspension, but next thing you know other small things start popping attitude. What next ... I really wish I sold this car long time ago but after each fix you keep thinking it will now hold together for a while, I don't think I have ever seen longer than 2 week "while".
Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use force.

If you're getting inside, roll down the window and gently but firmly press from the outside with one hand while pulling with the other.

When outside, push on the door with palms of one or both hands.

If you must, spray some WD40 on the door latch, then get the seals properly reconditioned when you have a chance.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried both strategies above, doesn't help no matter how much pressure (not slamming kind) I apply. So, I am putting the AR into garage to warm up and then do the rubber treatment and lube up. I hope I see difference. Appreciated.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, closing it slowly and firmly works best.
My car started doing this in the autumn as soon as the weather started to cool off. My solution was to squirt a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone into the latch several times. I didn't close the door for about an hour using a towel to catch any drainage.
The door still didn't always latch for the rest of the day, but starting the next day it always latched and has ever since.
I squirted the latch in October; one treatment and it still works fine.
Good luck.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dang ! That sounds like a fix that worked for you !
Tell me, when you guys mean "latch", you mean the actual metal mechanical parts coming from the end of the door. What did you use to squirt with ? do you want to squirt into those cracks all the way in or just on top ? Sounds like the best potion for the purpose this mix !
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

By latch I was referring to the piece installed in the door that connects to the post on the B-pillar.
I always keep a batch of the solution mixed up around the house. It has been tested to be the best penetrant available; better than all of the expensive ones like PBlaster, etc. I use a small oil squirter to deliver the mix to the latch through the hole in the B-pillar end of the door.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good stuff, will be trying this tonight, going to store to get things. BTW that is a nice looking AR, love that Green color. I purchase my AR long time ago from your town, I've seen lots of road with my AR but shes some piece of work to maintain, I thought my wife was bad ..
Old 01-20-2012, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KekePerkele
Good stuff, will be trying this tonight, going to store to get things. BTW that is a nice looking AR, love that Green color. I purchase my AR long time ago from your town, I've seen lots of road with my AR but shes some piece of work to maintain, I thought my wife was bad ..
We have always liked the green best for the allroad too.
My wife also competes for maintenance dollars with the allroad. If it continues, we will have to move another car outside in order to provide space for her clothing acquisitions.

Good luck. I hope the solution works for you

Quick Reply: Door not shutting