Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

EGT Short to Ground and Cold Start Issue. Need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT Short to Ground and Cold Start Issue. Need a little advice

So recently the AR has been starting a little hard when it is cold. It began simply by taking a couple extra cranks but has progressed to about 5 seconds to start and misses for a couple seconds after it fires up. After that is appears to run fine and starts just fine after it is warmed up.

I had originally scanned that car and found the passenger EGT had an intermittent short to ground. Now it is no longer intermittent and is simply a short to ground so I obviously need to replace this. My question is whether or not this would explain the difficult cold starts? I thought the EGT only affected the engine once it was warm and increased fueling to cool the engine down. I have noticed that it does smell very rich when I start the car.

I had almost hoped for an ECT code when I scanned it because this would seem to make more sense. Alas... only the one code was thrown. It also appears immediately after clearing it.

Will probably replace the ECT while I am in there since it is cheap but should i consider looking at anything else? Tried cycling the ignition to see if it was loosing fuel pressure. nope... still starts hard.

Thanks in advance.