Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Engine coolant questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine coolant questions

At about 3,700 miles, engine coolant is jsut above "Min." level. Has anyone experienced coolant level dropping that quickly? Is that quick? No blinking warning light has occurred. The manual specifies refilling only with Audi G12 coolant. Does anyone have experience using VW G12 coolant (because it's an 80 mile drive for me to buy Audi coolant). Finally, would it be a problem to drive 80 miles with coolant at "Min.", or should I add small amount of water now?
Old 05-28-2001, 05:00 AM

Default Sounds fine to me -

As long as its BETWEEN min and max when car is COLD on Level ground , it is just fine.

Mine is about 1/8 inch above min this am, and mine was just delivered (700 miles)

You have TONS of coolant in the system, dont worry. But if you are concerned, keep an eye on it, if it seems to be loosing coolant then deal with it, but it is OK now. AND YES you can drive it even if its a little below min..
Old 05-28-2001, 08:29 AM

Default Yes, add water, and check a couple places for leaks...

Take off the engine covers and look under the intake manifold, there's a coolant after-run pump in the "valley" of the V6. I've seen a few of those leaking. Also, if you can, take off the front belly pan, see if there's any pink residue there. Obviously if you find anything, get it to the dealer. FYI, coolant after-run pumps may (still) be on planetary back-order, so you may want the dealer to confirm, and order, but not disassemble your car until they get the part!
Old 05-29-2001, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had a leak...

although I suspect since you didn't mention seeing a leak, that you don't notice one. The hose leading to the upper back part of the overflow tank was leaking the wonderful pink goo on top of the engine(4.2). Unsightly and smelly.
Do you notice a burning smell at times? Do you see any pink crap stuck to your engine?
Another allroad owner had the same thing as I did.
I suspect you have a leak somewhere. A car should not "use" coolant. It is not normal. Driving 80 or 800 miles on "min" is fine. Would check it intermittently to make sure it's not getting lower. Add water if you must, but obviously, it needs to be looked at soon. My service advisor acted as if it were an "emergency" which I think was a bit too much, just needed a new hose.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:22 PM
wec

Default I was the other leaker ...

Had pink coolant splattered all over my lovely 2.7T. You'd notice it. Had the plastic overflow tank replaced (had to spend the night at the shop waiting for a replacement part). Still leaked. In fact got the flashing yellow coolant light 2nd time - still some in the tank, but barely - well below Min. Replaced hose assembly into the front of the overflow tank (same day). Fixed. This was within the first 500 miles or so. Not a problem or complaint since.

When cold, just above Min does not sound abnormal. Drive for awhile and look at it hot. If it's higher - between or up to Max - you're probably good.

Atlas Gray w/Tip, 3rd seat, prem, conv & Bose