Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Engine malfunction indicator

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2001, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine malfunction indicator

The "Engine Malfunction" indicator on my allroad has come on 3 or 4 times during my first 5200 miles. The first two times I took it back to the dealer and both times they reported that the gas cap was loose which I know was not true since I always tighten it to 3 clicks. The second time the Service Advisor checked the cap when I drove in and agreed that it was not loose, but the official statement on the work order still said "loose gas cap". The next times it came on, it subsequently turned itself off before I could take it in. My 2000 A8 also behaves this same way - also attributed to "loose gas cap" by the dealer. I now just ignore the A8 indicator which I hate to do but can't keep taking it in to be told "loose gas cap". I would appreciate hearing what others are experiencing regarding this issue.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:09 AM

Default Where do you live? Find someone with a VAG-COM

I'm guessing near Tahoe, so I can't help (I'm in Mountain View). VAG-COM will tell you the exact fault code.

I haven't had this issue. Can you get them to tell you the fault code number?

I'd suggest way more than 3 clicks on the cap, but as you say, thats probably not the issue.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Engine malfunction indicator

I would try a slightly different angle with the dealer. The cap being loose is the most obvious way to open a closed fuel system. e.g. user error. If you are continually getting these faults then it is logical to assume that the fuel system is open somewhere. If it is _not_ the gas cap or its seal then either there is another open in the system (line, fitting, etc) or the sensor system is faulty. point out the hassle it is to come in everytime the dumb thing faults, the probable cause, and problem with ignoring it and tell them to find the problem that it isn't you..

just my $.02

(and I haven't had this problem with mine once, in 7K miles FWIW)

fj..
Old 04-27-2001, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Mine used to come on a lot...

1. had one of the o2 sensors replaced.

2. They switched the gas cap under warranty

3. Had the temp sensor replaced

never seen it again

Make sure they are getting the error code from the computer, ask them for the specific codes, then post them on here. Someone will look them up for you, but that way you know they are at least checking
Old 04-27-2001, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My S4 did the same= Hole in the Y hose. Frequent on early S4's B4 the factory switched to heavyduty.
Old 04-27-2001, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Near Truckee, CA

I bought the car at Lithia in Reno, NV which is the nearest dealer. So far they have been friendly and cooperative to deal with but not very thorough in their service. The car goes back in Mon morning, and I'll request the error codes this time.
Old 04-30-2001, 12:37 PM

Default Damn, can't help you with mine

Its a little far from Mountain View to Truckee (although a very nice drive on a Friday morning if you happen to be off work, b/c there's not a lot of traffic around)
Old 05-01-2001, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Engine malfunction indicator - update

I took my allroad in for its 5k service and told them that the engine malfunction indicator had been on for a second time but had subsequently gone off. They claim there were no error codes in memory. Anyone have an opinion. Thanks.