Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Ever notice the 3rd high brake light comes on about 1/20 second before the brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever notice the 3rd high brake light comes on about 1/20 second before the brake lights?

It must be a function of the different bulb filament design.

Has anyone ever switched the brake lamps to the "instant on LED type"?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:28 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup!

LED's light faster than conventional lamps just because.....because.....well, because of technical stuff I don't quite understand having to do with the amount of time it takes to heat the fiber in a bulb high enough to cause it to react with the gas in the bulb and illuminate - something LED's don't have to do. Anyway, many, many folks over on the BMW motorcycle list have tried LED bulb solutions and so far, nobody has come back and said that they have found an LED solution that is hands down better than a bulb.

Part of the problem is the narrow focus of an LED. They are very bright in a narrow field of view and almost indistinguishable from an unlit bulb outside that field of view. So, in order to have the same coverage around the vehicle, you need many more LED's pointed in different directions. Also, I don't know about Audi, but on the BMW the LED replacement bulbs always cause a "lamp out" fault in the computer because of the resistance being out of spec.

But hey, give 'em a whirl and let us know what you come up with.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ledtronics

Check out the bulbs at www.ledtronics.com (industrial/commercial quality) not the cheap japanese stuff

they have direct and axial array for good light distribution. 28 leds per bulb

check out www.superbrightleds.com for an inline resistor that mimics the resistance of an incandescent bulb.(their leds are junk but the resistor is useful)

I have them all waiting to be installed,

I'll update when done

nischal