Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty

Well, gone for a couple years (stupid busy-good thing), and this is what I come back to ... Hope there's some grace left for a decent reply ...

So is the Royal extended warranty worth it?

2005 2.7T automatic with 51,000. $4400 for 4-years or 100,000-miles.

Car's been nearly perfect. Brakes replaced under factory warranty before the 50K mark.

What should I be most worried about (realistically) and budget for if I don't do the warranty?

Plan to keep it "forever".

It's my 2nd allroad.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Contact Bruce M.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i did warranty research just recently for my old AR. due to the difficulties with finding a good warranty that would work & satisfaction with the process, i ended up just getting rid of my car.

that said, the local dealership used Fidelity. they quoted a similar price for similar coverage.

Warranty Direct is another big name, but i wouldn't use them. they offer a ONE year warranty for the same price, and when i spoke to a rep about it, they told me they are about to drop the car from coverage completely.

good luck!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Elder Member

Originally Posted by four
i did warranty research just recently for my old AR. due to the difficulties with finding a good warranty that would work & satisfaction with the process, i ended up just getting rid of my car.

that said, the local dealership used Fidelity. they quoted a similar price for similar coverage.

Warranty Direct is another big name, but i wouldn't use them. they offer a ONE year warranty for the same price, and when i spoke to a rep about it, they told me they are about to drop the car from coverage completely.

good luck!

fascinating, that would explain why they (Warr Dir/ NDBS) try to hard not to pay the actual cost of repairs on mine... ...

jc
Old 03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a hard time doing an online search for reliable aftermarket warranties too. Nothing seemed trustworthy or reliable.

Bruce M. sent me some info a while back...just trying to figure if I want to pony up the $$, or sell the ar. I love the car, but the warranty ain't cheap.

The $$ spent on warranty would otherwise go toward a used A4 or A6 avant.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I purchased my car from carMax and their MaxCare waaranty cost $1,699 for 36k/3 year inclusive coverage with a $75 deductible. It has so far paid out 11k on my 2004 Audi Allroad. Not sure if they sell to 3rd parties but best warranty buy I have ever made. i still have 20k miles or 19 months.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i don't mean to be debbie downer here, but don't you guys see red flags when everyone you've spoken to that has bought an extended warranty has used more than what they put into it, in funds?

i had the same issue honestly.

what i ran into (from polling allroad owners elsewhere) was many of them were furious about how the warranty companies weren't covering what they said they would. almost always seems to be on technicalities too...

for instance: the turbos ARE covered on most warranties. but the return lines, leaking/seaping, etc, are NOT. before a warranty company pays a claim, they request to know what caused the problem in the first place. if the technician or 3rd party inspector looks at it and determines that the turbo didn't fail on its own (do they ever? pretty rarely, usually caused by an external factor...), then they won't warranty it.

i actually had that very conversation with another allroad owner AT the dealership when i was there getting an inspection to buy an aftermarket warranty. he had to pay out of pocket to replace turbos on his car when he already paid out of pocket for the warranty. reason? the inspector/tech decided that the failed turbos were caused by problems with the oil return lines, or something to that effect. (this was awhile ago, so i don't remember exactly the words...)

but my point is this: why pay so much for a warranty that they may try to get out of on a loophole or other technicality? yes there's a chance they will pay for the repair, but on the really big-ticket items, they can weasel their way out.

i opted to not buy the warranty. If you want the utility but are afraid of the reliability, i'd recommend the A6 Avant. Not super-reliable, but a fair amount more so than the allroad.

Last edited by four; 03-18-2009 at 10:33 AM.