Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Extra Brake Booster Fitted........is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 01:12 PM
gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra Brake Booster Fitted........is this right?

After complaining the 2nd week after recieving my AR, that the AR's braking is not feeling like it is braking hard enough, they changed my discs & pads twice already...The third time I was prepared to give the AR back or will settle for a new AR after three very-near accidents, they took in my AR and got all the Big-Shots of the factory in and came to the conclusion that there isn't enough boost in the brake system....they then fitted a additional booster apparently just above the peddals..."Now this AR will brake"...famouse last words....just got it back and the very first time I had to brake....same-o..same-o...it feels completely if the AR brake's fades in too slowly and then only after very hard pounding of the brake pedal right down to the fire-wall it comes to a gentle stop...........Do anyone have the spec's to what the AR brakes must be as to distances, preasure, etc........PLEASE HELP, I can't provide a safe ride for my family anymore, I don't know when the brakes will fail for the last time on me...because in an AR as you all know, brakes is very-very important and you will not see another day if the brakes fail on you......
Old 01-31-2002, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Extra Brake Booster Fitted........is this right?

Wow, that's horrible. My feeling is that if it doesn't feel safe to you then it's not right.

I definitely have not experienced anything like what you've described with my 2002 ar. In fact, braking has been one of the things that I've really liked about the car as compared to the Passat Wagon I was previously driving.

Regarding braking distance, MotorTrend quoted a 60 - 0 braking distance of 126 feet for the 2001 allroad, which is very good, particularly for a 2+ ton vehicle.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 02-01-2002, 07:36 AM

Default I had the same feeling - for a week

The ar pedal feel (pedal travel, if you will) is different than most cars, even most Audis. I went from a 2000 A4 to the ar, and we have a 2000 A6 2.8 as well. The braking on the ar is actually EXCELLENT (as the poster below pointed out). If your car is "right," I doubt it's fade you're feeling, it's just pedal feel. You won't feel fade until more than two or three really HARD stops, which shouldn't really ever be experienced under normal driving.

If you're going down the the firewall without the ABS kicking in, there is something wrong. I would try increasing your foot pressure sooner. Heck, TROMP on that pedal in a parking lot, get the ABS to engage. It won't do any harm.

As for your piece of mind, that's not insignificant. My suggestion is, ask the dealer to let you test drive another allroad. If the braking feels better, then there IS something wrong with your car. If it feels the same, then there's nothing wrong.

You actually have a pretty damned good dealer, if they're willing to go through what you've described to make you happy.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2002, 11:06 AM
gas

Default Re: Thanx for the info...BUT!?

Yes, I especialy find the worse feeling in the mornings...if I drive out of my garage and want to stop a few meters away...I must almost stand on the brakes to come to a full stop...I've also notice that if I'm coming in to brake on the lights or stop street and there is a little bump in the road, it completely sound if there ia a kind of spring loose, and then the feeling of no brakes is even more...but to say the least, from day one the brakes sounds like metal to metal within a few hours of driving after the dealer have installed the new brakes, the second time they told me to RUN - In the brakes for almost 100miles wich I did......I find the brakes no beter or worse...I realy do not know how I can adress this problem with all the nessary test to prove that the brakes are in a 100% order, up to now almost 3 days after I've rtecieved my AR while they installed the new additional booster, I have not yet recieved a report from the dealer where they confirm in writing with the nessary proof, that the brakes are braking 100%....Looks like I will have another go with AUDI, otherwise, I think a new AR will do...!
Old 02-01-2002, 12:32 PM

Default That doesn't sound "normal" - I'd get a new ar

And I sincerely doubt you will need to invoke lemon law, since braking system failure would have sucha significant liability. I would think a quick note explaining how you fear for the safety of your family (to go on record) along with the exact experiences you just related would be enough that if they balk they're looking at SERIOUS losses.

Plus the fact they authorized a boost install tells you right away they admit there's something wrong.

Good luck! Keep us posted! And don't shy away from the ar - despite a little soft pedal feel at first, the braking distance of 126 feet really is EXCELLENT for a car of this girth.