Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

finally installing the HP2 calipers and need pad/rotor recommendations and vendor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally installing the HP2 calipers and need pad/rotor recommendations and vendor

suggestions. No track days, just spirited road driving.

Not OE either, to manny warped rotors and dirty wheels in the past.

TIA
Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads

PureMotorsports is one of many vendors that carry the Carbotech.

There are so many theories on rotors. I just ordered DBAs and will post some comments after I mount them and live with them for a while.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd - Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads + DBA rotors.....very impressive braking power !!
Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bobcats feel great & have amazingly low dust, but they SEVERELY warped my new rotors in < 10k

miles... YMMV. That 10k miles involved some very spirited driving and lots of towing.

I'm now using PBR metal masters, they feel quite a bit different from the bobcats. Both feel better and have lower dust than stock.

The bobcats have fairly low initial stopping power, so when your in stop and go traffic the car feels heavy. However when you are going fast and braking hard the bobcats are VERY confidence inspiring. They can scrub off a lot of speed fast.

The metal masters feel softer at low speeds and require more pedal pressure when your going fast. If I was heading to the track I would rather have the bobcat's, in slow stop and go traffic I would rather have the metal masters.

In short, I don't think the bobcats are worth the money. And I think they create a lot of heat and warped my rotors (or maybe not...) BUT, they are the lowest dusting pad I have ever seen, they are quiet and they can easily activate ABS on dry pavement @ 80+ mph.

If you do end up leaning towards the bobcats let me know. I took mine out and they still look like new! srsly, they show 0 wear (which is kinda weird, maybe explains how they have zero dust...). I may consider selling them.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What about akebono ceramics?..

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/774642.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/774642.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had bobcats a little longer then you I believe, mine are absolutely eating my rotors.

No warping, but I wouldn't be suprised to see the rotors gone at the same time if not before the pads. I love the pads, sounds like you need better rotors.

I wish their was a cheap non slotted solid replacement rotor. I have slotted dba's, the slots cause pulsing/vibration but they haven't warped, if they didn't have slots they would be awesome in my book.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I used std ATE rotors (oem brand I belive)....

Have you ever tried a drilled rotor? I was thinking of getting drilled next time.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very similar to OEM in feel and longevity. Bobcats are more aggressive.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So why not get the solid dbas if you don't like the slots?
Old 03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've never ran into someone who sold non-slotted dba rotors, have you?

I haven't looked all that hard though, but the couple of places I have looked only listed slotted even though they list non slotted rotors on the dba website.

Quick Reply: finally installing the HP2 calipers and need pad/rotor recommendations and vendor