Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

First Major Road Trip going well and then 'Oil Min Light'.... Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Major Road Trip going well and then 'Oil Min Light'.... Advice?

Hey all, Just did LA to Vail, CO in one sitting. Beautiful drive. Otto the dog was a great passenger. Stats are below.

Around hour Ten, the 'Oil Min' Light came on. Oil temp was constant. Water temp was constant (natch, since it's a blunt instrument). Wish I had an oil pressure guage, but figured since the oil pressure light was not on, it was not critical. (I also felt it wasn't an emergency as my friends A4 did this to her.) I waited and I pulled off at the next exit and checked the oil.

Oil level was practically the same as when I started and 3/4 up the 'b' range... IE perfect -- though oil had browned a bit since it was practically fresh when I started. Turned the car on, did a 'check' and computer came up OK. Continued on my only slightly disconcerted way. Oil temp and and water temp rock steady. Oil min light came on 50 miles later.

I ignored it.

A search on the board pointed towards a bad sensor. But now I'm in Vail (yeah) but need to head back in a week or so (weanh). Any insight into what this is? Anyone know a good dealer nearby?

Miles 933
Trip time 13hrs, 42 minutes.
Driving time (time car was running): 12hrs (approx - drove this morning before jotting down the trip stats. oops)
MPH (not including when car was off) 78mph
Milage 18.8mpg

Will go for harder numbers on the way back - maybe fill up with the enging running....
Old 02-25-2006, 11:47 AM

Default ADDITION: drove the car this morning - oil min light still on. Then checked the oil

and turned the car back on and got the 'OK'. No doubt, 50 miles down the road, the light will come back on. What gives?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your symptoms point to the oil level sender. Common failure item.

My dealer did 3 2.7's the day I went in for mine. And that was a 38,000 miles.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:58 PM
trg
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: oil light

I haven't read any posts here about this problem for quite a while, but there were several, around 3-4 years ago.

I had exactly the same experience as you, on a road trip (howinell does the car know?). I decided to wait until I got back home to deal with it, since the oil level was fine, and within a week the light stopped misbehaving - and it hasn't come on since. I'm at 95K on an '02, FYI.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Thanks Ed. Helps to hear this.

I'm going to call the dealer in Glenwood Springs (closest one), but won't sweat it if I can't get in there. 45000 miles - guess mine was due.

Funny thing is, even though I was 99% sure it was this, last night I kept thinking about sludge and oil starvation and 'is that a new engine note I'm hearing?'... crazy.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: oil light

Heh.. I could hear my car saying to me, 'You want to spend thirteen hours at 85+ mph? Well, how bout this, tough guy...."

THanks for the feedback.

Nick
Old 02-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Yea, I was 100 miles from home, on a 225 mile drive so

figured after checking oil level that it was OK to keep going. Called my dealershipservice mgr to confirm and his comment was to the effect-" they all do that, go ahead and drive it."
Old 02-25-2006, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, don't fill up w/ engine on or could trip CEL for evap emissions.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you need a new sensor..warranty.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Had the exact same experience......

....I live in Denver and had to drive to Albuquerque on short notice. It's an easy drive in the ar, you can cruise very comfortably in triple digits (not that I would do such a thing). I was nearing my next oil change when the trip began, and had not added oil since my last change (around 7000 miles). I rocketed to ABQ, drove around town a few days, then dropped the hammer on the way home, the "Oil Min Light" came on. It scared the snot out of me since I initially thought it was the oil pressure waring. I shut the engine and pulled over immediately, checked the owner's manual, and the dipstick. It was a bit low, but no big deal. I started back up with an "OK", drove 30 or 40 miles and the light came on again. I stopped at the nearest station and added about 750ML of Mobil1, and haven't seen the light since.

Quick Reply: First Major Road Trip going well and then 'Oil Min Light'.... Advice?