Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Fix a leaking air spring with fix-a-flat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With the vibration that the spring will see going down the road..

I bet the slime will get everywhere inside the air spring. It's also full of that fiberous stuff to allow the goo to congeal in a hole. I would not want to be trying to clean that out of the line. You also have the telescoping part of the shock to deal with in that enclosed space.

I don't think slime would get all the way back to the valve/compressor from the front though.

Cheers
Gregor
Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The vibes are an issue, for sure....

...a fast oscillation (which set up any wave action or harmonics), or any single sharp impact or movement will definitely cause the liquid to spatter, but I could handle any "slosh" (movement that describes the slime moving, well, in a sloshing, coherent fashion), since simple slosh would never get up to the fill hole.

The thing is, I now have two blown front shocks. If I totally kill a shock, whatever, and I can't think I'd mess up anything but the last inch of the feed line if I try this and utterly fail.

Ahh, projects.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

An inline filter that would catch any of the "stuff".
Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm doing it.

I'm going to coilovers anywho because I can't stand the wishy washy ride of the airsprings, so what the hay. I'll give it a shot and see if it happens.

Just trying to buy some time so I can make the spacers I will need for the rear strut assembly.

The tire slime is what I had in mind when I thought of this so that is what I will use. Not standard fix a flat.

Fingers crossed!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Awesome...

PS I was thinking about this tonight on the walk out of the office. I bet, if you were careful about the install, that you could squirt enough slime in there to work through the hose fitting. It would be a matter of guesswork, but if you were smart about the bottle (they're clear, you can see contents), you could do a darn good job in guestimating a small charge of the slime.

I mean, you'd have to take out the airline fitting, but I'd think that threaded bore would be large enough to exploit as a loading port for the slime.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, one more gotcha-

On a rotating tire, centripetal force spreads the goop around the interior of the tire's tread, as you drive.

On an airbag, you don't have that rotation, so unless the leak is at the very bottom of the air bag, you might not have much luck getting the goop to where it will do any good.