Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Front Air Spring Cutaway

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Air Spring Cutaway

Just changed the front bags, on my '03 AR (one was leaking).

Figured I would cut one open and see what all the mystery is about. There has been allot of speculation, about the number of chambers inside these. Hope this helps a few of you.

The last two pics, show where my leak was. Seems like a fatigue issue, with the rubber. Not necessarily a defect, as much as, the nature of the wear and tear this part gets.
One chamber and a leak toward the bottom of the bag, explains why many, have success with the slime/fix-a-flat "repair".
Many have also expressed concern about these patching products (liquids) getting back into the air lines and dryer. While it's possible, the volume of this space and the placement of the air fitting (at the top of the bag), explains why there have been few reports of clogs or "gum up" issues, with these "repairs"

Point of note, this is the right, front air spring, and leaked when in level 2.
I could pump it up to 3 & 4 and and leave it sitting for 3 days and it would hold. Eventually, both sides would be on the stops.
I finally decided to replace them, when I could hear the leak.

I also posted a few pics in the "tech section - suspension tuning". As this was my first time changing these, there was a learning curve, so the info there, may save someone some time and trips to the tools section, mid project.

Again, hope this helps those, looking to tackle this project.
It's actually pretty easy and there are tons of write ups and videos, that are very good.
If I had, had the correct tools, at the outset, it would have been 45 minutes/per side, start to finish.
Attached Images