Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

front brakes will not release

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brakes will not release

just changed my brakes front and rear as well as resurfaced the rotors. the car worked fine for two days now the front pass side is dragging hard like it wont return to the non engaged position. i'm getting an ABS light , stability control light and a level sensor light. the only thing i can think is these lights are caused by the dragging brakes, when i replaced the pads on the front Driver side i accidentally popped out one of the pistons on the caliper so i had to disconnect the caliper and reinstall the piston on the work bench. i then bled the brakes at the corner only. the only thing i can think is there is air in the system . but would that cause the brakes to stay engaged ? any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got dirt in it or a seal is not seated properly. Just one grain of sand can hang up the piston.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so i just went outside and jacked the car up and all four corners are dragging hard. its like someone is stepping on the brake. i can move the wheels but there is drag on them. is there any other way i can relieve the pressure so the move without resistance. any advice would be appreciated. i checked the fuses for the brakes and they seem to be fine.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you replace the rotors as well as the pads?

If not, there's probably a pretty good lip around the circumference that is interferring with the new pads.....
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default confused

i replace the rotors and pads all seem to be smooth and true. the brakes are literally on and they will not re-trackt . it's like some one is slightly stepping on the brake with just enough drag. my wife was coming home from the store and noticed that the car did not want to get up to speed . the ABS light came on as well as the stability control light and the level sensor light . how crazy is that. so she pulled over and sat for about 1/2 hour till i got there. at which point i drove the car home with no issues. then the next morning after i inspected all the brakes for movement and any obstructions it did it again. ????????????
Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like either dirt/debris OR the Piston needs to be realigned/retracted. Did you bleed the lines?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i'm about to bleed the whole system this morning. what would cause all four conners to drag? it's like there is pressure on the whole system. mind you we drove the car for over 200 miles after the brake job . very puzzling ?@*%$@%....
Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TONYORT
i'm about to bleed the whole system this morning. what would cause all four conners to drag? it's like there is pressure on the whole system. mind you we drove the car for over 200 miles after the brake job . very puzzling ?@*%$@%....
Perhaps Air bubble(s) in the system, and it took that long to travel( your 200 mile trip).
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i alway thought that air in the system would cause a soft peddle. can it do the opposite as well?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TONYORT
i alway thought that air in the system would cause a soft peddle. can it do the opposite as well?
Yes, it does cause the old "soft pedal" feel but at this point it's always worth a look. More than likely though, it just may end up being the caliper/piston that needs readjusting. Good Luck and report back.

Quick Reply: front brakes will not release