Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Front caliper bolts??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front caliper bolts??

Had a go at changing the pads/discs over this weekend, but could not get the caliper off. That is another story really, and more about access space to get leverage on my torque wrench.

My real question is, what Torx fitting goes into the bolts that hold the two halves of the calipers together? And if you remove the bottom one, does the caliper top flip up to allow removal of pads and disc?? Not obvious from looking at it, and the top bolt has the bleed nipple immediately in front of it so you can't get to it even if you wanted to (without removing the nipple).

The torx head was approx 10mm across (you can fit a 9mm Allen in there snugly), so what T number torx fitting does that translate to??

Am in the UK if that makes any difference at all! 2.5TDI AR 2001.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You don't remove those! There are 2 bolts closer to the cv....

you need an 18mm socket for those that bolt the caliper to the bearing housing. Yoy may need to remove the 10mm bolt holding the brake line bracket to the caliper to access one of the bolts. You can leave the top bolt in but loose to swing the caliper up to remove the rotor.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: You don't remove those! There are 2 bolts closer to the cv....

I initially looked to remove the whole caliper using those two 18mm bolts, having removed the 10mm bracket holder. I can't get enough clearance, even with the wheel on full lock to get enough leverage on the wrench to free them. As a result, I was looking to see if you can change pads without removing the whole caliper from the mounting. That bolt looks as if it joins two halves of the caliper, and the top of the caliper could then swing up pivoting on the top one, to allow access to the pads, and should also clear the disc to allow removal of the rotor. Is this the case??

If not then I will need a ramp or pit to get at those 18mm bolts from underneath as my trolley jack will never give me enough clearance for my torque wrench.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn the wheel to one side, and you can easily hit....

...those 18mm bolts. And don't use a torque wrench to break them free - use a proper breaker bar and 1/2" sockets.

By the way, should you only be able to remove one of those bolts, you can most likely pivot the caliper around the other (stuck) bolt to achieve enough clearance to change out the rotor.