Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Front door latch issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front door latch issue

It seems to be a common problem discussed on various forums, but I've yet to find a definitive solution to this. My driver's front door doesn't latch properly and the door remains ajar or pops unlatched more often than it closes. I've tried various sprays in the external latch mechanism (i.e. with the door card in place) but nothing has worked. Is it just a matter of replacing the latch mechanism at this point or can it be disassembled, cleaned and regreased?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Replace the latch. Not really worth the headache in my opinion considering it still may not fix the issue. Not to mention it's a bit of a pain to remove in the first place.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As soon as the weather cooled a bit I was having the same issue. I really didn't want to disassemble the door and replace the latch. So... I got out my trusty little squirter full of magic solution and gave the mechanism a couple of healthy squirts and viola, the problem is solved.
Oh, you say you want to know what the magic solution is?
Well, OK. It's a 50/50 solution of ATF and acetone. It's the best penetrant ever, better than all that stuff like PB Blaster, etc. It has been proven in testing to be better than all commercial products. Since I started using it I have never gone back to anything else. It has worked every time for me. It even works on pinch bolts.
Try it out.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the input Mike. I've tried my magic acetone+ATF mix which loosens everything... no luck. I then tried with $$$ Krown penetrant followed by their rust solution/lubricant. It helped for a day, but it is still not latching consistently. It wasn't latching well in the fall and the cold weather seems to have made things worse.

Does anyone know which fuse to pull to dissable the interior lights? If the car sits for more than a day or two in the cold with its door ajar, the battery drains.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

adjusted the striker yet? Mine wouldn't latch since the striker was just a tiny bit too deep and door was rebouncing a lot.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rhskcdn
It seems to be a common problem discussed on various forums, but I've yet to find a definitive solution to this. My driver's front door doesn't latch properly and the door remains ajar or pops unlatched more often than it closes. I've tried various sprays in the external latch mechanism (i.e. with the door card in place) but nothing has worked. Is it just a matter of replacing the latch mechanism at this point or can it be disassembled, cleaned and regreased?
Try using Graphite power you can get it from any auto parts store. If don't get it then try to use a cyclone spray.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow. I've never heard of this problem until....

This morning, first morning since I've owned mine that the ambient temps were below 32 deg F in the morning. Driver's door bounced and wouldn't latch.

So it sounds like the solution is to get at the mechanism with lubricant to loosen up the stickiness, is that the issue?

Or is it an out-of-adjustment or wear issue?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Greasing it usually is all you need. Also condition your seals around the door frame as that is them giving the bounce.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With the ATF+Acetone and Krown lube in their now, it is at least closing reliably if you are gentle about it. A firm swing of the door, i.e. without having your hand on the handle when closing, and it still unlatches. A new latch mechanism from my local indy parts shop is $250. Anyone know of any cheaper options?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might sound futile, but I would suggest that you apply more ATF+Acetone. It took 2 applications on my car, once in early autumn when the problem first arose and a second application a month later when it got a lot colder and the problem came back. In both instances relief was not immediate. It was probably 24-48 hours later that the problem disappeared for good. It's only 11 degrees here this morning and the door works fine, and it's been a month since the problem exhibited itself.
Good luck.