Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

General report on mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General report on mods

My mods are almost complete, and I want to thank the forum for the good advice on the how and why of the mods. GIAC chip, H-sports, wipers, 628, and VAG have all worked out well. Next week Zimmermans to be installed to correct and prevent warped rotors.

Now I'm looking for all season tires to replace my M3's.I'd like Conti Extremes but I don't see the right size available. Any advice? Had good luck with those and Pilot A/S on my A4, so might go with Pilots. Definitely need good snow and wet traction for here in the mountains.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mods are nevAr comlete.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you are driving in the snow in the mountains

you need winter wheels with Blizzaks. We only get 6 or so inches at a time here in the Midwest (except this year where we had almost none) and Blizzaks transform Quattros into SUV eating beasts. Even my A4 can walk circles around SUVs with the Blizzaks mounted.

When I head to the UP of Michigan or Wisconsin to ski I am glad I have snows. I am sure the members that live in parts of the country with real snow can provide better testimonials than I can.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A very simple analogy for you to answer your qeustion

Getting a set of Nokian WR's would give you the equivalent grip in the snow + ice of driving on S0-3's in the summer on a dry twisty road.

bottom line = snow's are a great piece of mind and safety & are really a ton a fun!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Actually, looking for non-winter all-seasons

To clarify, I've got Dunlop M3 winter tires (great tires btw) on and I'm looking for all-seasons for the summer season. I figure up here in Tahoe, there will be rain on the twisty roads and perhaps even late or early snow, hence the rain and snow grip requirement of AS tires. So Conti Extremes or Mich Pilot A/S but what size Conti or what alternates to Pilots given people's experience with them?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Skip the A/S's..

Not really a good match for the heavy allroad. Some have had good luck with them, but I think that more have not. Falkens seem to be the current favorite. I had both on my allroad, and the Falkens were a much better riding tire without giving up too much in terms of handling. I hated almost every mile with the Michelins.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:04 PM

Default I'm running Yoko Advan S4 A/S..

It's a new tire this year. It's quiet, smooth and strong sidewalls. Can't comment on wear as of yet since I only got 200km on them. Decent dry traction and good in damped roads. Haven't gone thru heavy rain/snow yet. Pilot A/S was 1st on my list when I was shopping until I found these nice Yokohamas. The limitation on A/S tires on 19s

HTHs,
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Conti Extreme Contacts

I've now got about 5k on my 245/45/18 Conti Extreme Contact A/S tires and so far I'm very impressed. Wet condition handling seems to be great and even had the opportunity to drive in 2-3" snow conditions with no problems.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm one of the some and not the more... ;-)
Old 04-21-2006, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Keep us posted on how they do long term; I'm looking for A/S and that's the size I need

Quick Reply: General report on mods