Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Going to be letting go of our beloved allroad...any advice on alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to be letting go of our beloved allroad...any advice on alternatives?

OK,
First of all the allroad is one of my favorite cars I've had. It's been a loyal friend since 12/13/00..I remember the day well. Now, with wife, 2 kids,carpools and mother inlaw it is to small for OUR needs.

Hurts me to say but we are considering the Acura MDX or Chrysler Pacifica to replace the allroad. However, neither of them compare to the allroad. Anyone else have any suggestions? No, I can't get rid of the mother inlaw : )
PS if anyone is looking for an 01 with 36k miles have them email me at davida@dynashoe.com
Old 01-12-2004, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Going to be letting go of our beloved allroad...any advice on alternatives?

If more room is what you're looking for, then give the chevy tahoe a try.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:48 AM

How about a 2nd allroad?
Old 01-13-2004, 04:35 AM

Default In order to get some real capacity

you are going to have to live with something that doesn't perform nearly as well as the ar and think big. My family truckster is a Toyota Land Cruiser which has been nothing but perfect for us. Well built, solid ride, smooth power delivery (perhaps a bit underpowered), reliable, holds its value fairly well, can tow, has handled deep snow and sand like they were dry payment. I have a wife, 2 kids in car seats and a dog. As big as the Land Cruiser is, I'm afraid that I'll need to move up to something like a Suburban if we have another kid or God forbid - mother-in-law which does not excite me (the Suburban and mother-in-law, not the kid). We typically carry lots of stuff - dog takes up half of the back, luggage, stroller, skis or surf board, etc. Despite putting a Yakima Mega Warior and cargo box on the roof, we have left stuff behind when going away for an extended period. The MDX is nice but for us wouldn't cut it.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yukon Denali XL

The tahoe/yukon is okay, but for a little more the bourbon/xl has cargo space along with the third row. suburban/yukonxl with autoride suspension (standard on denali) is an outstanding ride.

I have the xl with autoride. I love it. I'm looking for an allroad as a smaller second car.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:12 AM

Default Dare I say it?...... Minivan?

For carrying capacity and convenience when hauling a bunch of people around they're hard to beat. Dual powered side doors make it real easy to load and unload the gang and the cargo.

We rented a Ford Windstar in Hawaii once because we had 5 adults, 1 kid and gear. Very convenient and didn't drive too bad either. I actually think they drive better than the big truck-like SUV's which are SUV bodies dropped on a truck chasis. I'm sure there are some with all wheel drive. Update: The Toyota Sienna has AWD and is currently top ranked by CR. From web site it looks like it has a lot of nice convenience gadgets.

None of the alternatives will drive like an allroad but it sounds like you'll have to compromise there. Take the whole gang for a test drive in a big SUV and a minivan and see which is more convenient and/or has the best drive/ride.

Jim
Old 01-13-2004, 05:17 AM

I've been very impressed with my in-law's Sequoia. Huge inside. Drives well.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not a bad suggestion

Not a bad suggestion actually. My AR shares the garage with a Honda Odyssey. In terms of loading up the kids, dog and tons of gear for an outing, honestly, it can't be beat. FWD makes it passable in snowy conditions. I actually had it in Winter Park, Colorado last spring when they got hit with nearly 4 feet of snow in a 40 hour period. We got stuck twice although once was backing out of the driveway of our house which was uphill so I don't really count that. (We didn't expect quite so much snow--kids almost missed ski school!). I didn't have the AR at that point and my wife has since decreed that any winter trips to Colorado will be in the AR!

Anyway, take a look at an Odyssey (same platform as the MDX) and also the new Toyota Sienna. It looks very nice and a recent C&D article I read raved about the interior--claimed it was "Lexus-like." It also offers adaptive laser based cruise and a ton of other cool options.

Thankfully, my everyday driver is the AR, but the van is a welcome change at times when hauling lots of stuff. I've found the Honda to have adequate (often surprising) power and actually get pretty good mileage. I'm very happy with ours--I think you can still actually buy a loaded Odyssey for less than 30k as well! A veritable bargain. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Having had the Sub (2500 with 8.1)

it was a comfortable rig, ride was very composed for a heavy truck and the room (no kids, no dogs, one girlfriend, and a 10K trailer to pull) for me made a nice overnight hotel room. In one year it saw 80K and only had one problem, an Auto ride shock went bad and it took two weeks to get the right on. (auto ride was just releast when I got mine and part were still not in the system) Milage retrun was in the 13 to 15 when not towing, Power was over the top, the thing would pull like the ar on full boost. The suprise is that it handled well (again for what it was) I would recoment that if you are looking at a full size rig go to the top of the pile and look at a 3/4 ton Sub/GMC. In the mid size, check out the new Ford Expedition, full independent sup, good power, My friends on the CHP like the one they have over their Tahoes.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:51 AM

Default Take a look at the Nissan Pathfinder Armada... getting good reviews

and has a sweet V8. It's based on the new Titan pickup that's also highly rated. Also, Infiniti has a version that is of course more luxurious but more expensive.

Good luck.
PicciaNY

Quick Reply: Going to be letting go of our beloved allroad...any advice on alternatives?