Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Going to be letting go of our beloved allroad...any advice on alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chrysler Town and Country with AWD, 4 Captains and rear bench.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Pacifica is a terrific alternative however....

it does not have the handling or the acceleration
of the ar. It does however seat 6, have terrific utility, offer a serene ride, and offer a DVD entertainment system for the kids. Overall a good
alternative.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:10 AM

Re: That's my combination ('01 ar & '01 Yukon XL) Best of both worlds...!!
Old 01-13-2004, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default We're looking at Denali's this week for my wife...

...to update her 5 year old Disco SII. I test drove one a few weeks ago. Nothing like an Audi but pretty nice. Power seems plentyful.

Do you know of any forums like audiworld for the GMC/Chevy Yukon/Tahoe? I've heard there are Eibach springs available for them! Plus maybe a Borla.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed on Pacifica and Armada

I drove the inlaws Pacifica recently and it was nice. I like the GPS system in the center dash area. Did not like the lack of acceleration and huge blind spot due to the big rear pillar. Rear seats are a bit cramped and hard to get an "adult" into although I have ridden back there.

Saw the new Armada recently and it looks very nice as well. Before buying my AR I was close to buying a Touareg. In the Motor Trend SUV of the Year issue the Armada got very good reviews and showed some great accelaration for a big vehicle. I think is was faster than most everything save the Cayenne and Infiniti FX in that test!

If I were choosing between the 2, definitely the Armada. It will haul a lot more gear, more capable and faster.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How about the VW Touareg?? Don't go minivan whatever you do.

I like the Yukon/Tahoe option as well.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:36 AM

The Armada may get good reviews but its looks are certainly lacking. IMO
Old 01-13-2004, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No forum that I know of like this.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:11 AM

Default Puzz: Please elaborate!

Puzz:

When you make a statement like "don't go minivan whatever you do", don't you think you should elaborate on that opinion?

Do you just not like their image? Can you argue with their utility? The only one I've ever driven was a Windstar from Hertz and it drove better than a Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer) that I recently rented from Hertz. It was much better and easier at loading up a bunch of people and gear. It drove better and the visibility from every seat is great, we loved it when we toured around Kauai. It is absolutely cavernous inside compared to any SUV I've driven.

The Toureg is very nice, I like the looks a lot, but it's an SUV, the allroad is the only "true" crossover vehicle ..... IMHO. The Toureg is probably the next best alternative to the allroad BUT it does not offer the people/gear hauling, easy people/gear loading of today's top-of-the-line AWD minivans.

A funny story: When we were on the Hawaii trip, we had just set out on a long day trip in the Windstar. My brother and I were in front, wives in second row, his daughter and nanny in third row, gear behind third row. We're heading out of Princeville and I comment: "This thing drives pretty good and the seating position and visibility are great." He responds: "Yeah, this is a nice minivan." We look at each other and start to laugh. He says: "Did I just say the words "nice minivan" in the same sentence?" I said (still laughing): "Yep, it's pretty scary, but it's true".

Jim
Old 01-13-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Got the wife a loaded Honda Pilot. About $6k cheaper than MDX with similar pkg. Great visibility...

3rd row seating (for squeezing in the inlaw), enough cargo room, and smooth ride eventhough it does have a strange looking exterior. Lends itself to be beaten up (you have kids remember?). The Pilot replaced our Dodge Durango. So far we've been happy with it.

But then again I drive a lowly A4 Avant 3.0.

Quick Reply: Going to be letting go of our beloved allroad...any advice on alternatives?