Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Griffinpup and anyone else......radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 07:02 AM
sal
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griffinpup and anyone else......radar detector

I just purchased a Passport 8500 and would like to hardwire. Griffinpup, I saw the pictures of yours that is hidden behind the rear view mirror and down the A panel. How do you get into the fuse panel? Was this difficult? Could you explain further? I'm trying to decide if I should do it myself or send to a special shop. I do have the direct connect wire from Passport.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:55 AM

Default DO NOT WIRE TO THE FUSE PANEL! There is a much better connection....

located under the lower dash cover beneath the steering wheel. There are 3 "power ports", they are studs with several wires terminated to them. They will be obvious when you take the cover off the lower portion of the dash, one is power on constantly, one is power on with ignition and one is power on with ignition except while cranking. I can't remember which is which, but a short check out will supply the information. There are also grounding terminals in the same general area.

Sticking wires into the fuse box is risky business, at best.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:06 AM
sal
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks.....did you wire in a radar detector?

If so, did you also tuck away in the roof liner and travel down the A pillar on the driver's side? Was it fairly simple to get to the power lugs? I'm trying to determine if I should attempt this own my own or turn over to an electrical shop.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:35 AM

Default I hard wired a Passport 8500...

The wire will "tuck under" the headliner and the A-pillar cover easily; a credit card used to "stuff" it in will facilitate the operation. The power lugs are in plain sight and very easy to use. In fact, you take remove the cover from the mirror post and notch it at the exit point for the wire; this will leave only a short piece of wire visible. The last question requires knowlege of you that I don't have to make a good recommendation.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I hard wired a Passport 8500...

I also self-wired my 8500 - into the Fuse panel though.

I was originally hoping to tap into the ceiling light panel, but was afraid to...

I have had it wired for about a month and haven't had any problems with battery drains or shorts - god forbid!

I'll look under the steering wheel for those ports. that sounds interesting too.

BTW: i got my first 'LASER' detection last night - and holy S**T did it scare me. it a sound i've never heard from a detector.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've always HWed to the fuse panel... I've never had any problems...in 11 years of car ownership...

have used the fuse panel in all my cars... maybe I'm just lucky ;^}
Old 01-14-2002, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Me too. No problems at all. Wired my V-1 to the trailer socket fuse.

Hope my luck holds up too.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:56 PM

Default I too heard my first Laser warning, Sunday AM doing 80+...

The sound damn near scared the sh!@ out of me. I posted the details earlier. Your right, it sounds like no other alarm I've heard. But it worked as advertised (and tested). Lots of warning.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:17 PM

Default You're right the Laser alarm does get your attention....

used to live in Colorado and the high altitude sun in the late afternoon would set off my old Passport 7500's laser alarm. Jumping out of your skin and the sun in your eyes is not a good combination, add to that a curvey mountain road.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:53 PM

Default If done properly, it shouldn't be a problem, but I have seen peolpe wrap the wire around a fuse...

and cram it back into the socket;... an invitation to disaster. But if you wire to the back side of the panel; it should be a good solution. Since Audi has provided a safe alternative, it would be best to use it. BTW, I have been guilty, in the past, of dangerous wiring.

Quick Reply: Griffinpup and anyone else......radar detector