Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Has anyone ever identified a rogue current draw on the battery when parked

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone ever identified a rogue current draw on the battery when parked

if so, what is/was the source? I think I have something pulling my battery down more than it should when car parked a couple days. I went through every fuse with a multimeter a while back, but didn't identify the source. Was wondering if there is anything in particular that I should focus on.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your amp draw?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A diode in your alternator...had one pulling current on my A6 a while back.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had that before... it can be so bad that you want to disconnect the battery.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Default Have you load tested the battery, or had the alternator tested? Skid though he had a draw

turned out his Optima Battery was crap. Sometimes bad batteries can masquerade as a charging or draw problem. There's also a crapload of relays, modules, and keep alive circuits that could be drawing.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:44 PM

Default I thought mine was my radio and would turn it off before turning the ignition off just in case

but after I just replaced the battery after only two years I think it might have been a bad battery as now it doesn't seem to do it and my voltmeter seems to be running much higher than it was...it was always within the tolerance range but is much higher now. I real here where some had experienced it but never a real answer to the source(s)
p.s. I also toyed with the idea that it was my solar fan...as it runs all the time, but again no problem since the battery replacement (odd as the OEM lasted five years)
Old 03-18-2009, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ex-PzKW Cdr
turned out his Optima Battery was crap. Sometimes bad batteries can masquerade as a charging or draw problem. There's also a crapload of relays, modules, and keep alive circuits that could be drawing.

I still have the problem, I really think I'm going to put a new altenator on it. If I let the car on a charger over the weekend the car starts really good for a week or so, then "slowly starts starting slower"(say that fast 5 times) : )
Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skidmark
I still have the problem, I really think I'm going to put a new altenator on it. If I let the car on a charger over the weekend the car starts really good for a week or so, then "slowly starts starting slower"(say that fast 5 times) : )
What is the voltage when
1. car running at idle with all electric equipment off ?
2. car running at idle with all electric equipment on (AC, radio, head light, fog light, interior light,...) ?
3. ignition on but car not running with all electric equipment off ?
4. ignition on but car not running with all electric equipment on (AC, radio, head light, fog light, interior light,...) ?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by want
What is the voltage when
2. car running at idle with all electric equipment on (AC, radio, head light, fog light, interior light,...) ?
4. ignition on but car not running with all electric equipment on (AC, radio, head light, fog light, interior light,...) ?
I need to get batteries for my multi meter, but what got me thinking the alternator was bad is after I charged my battery good this weekend when I started the car I noticed how much higher the reading was on my dash volt meter when running idle(probably 1/8" above 14 volt line). When the battery was weakly starting the car the gauge was showing right on the 14 volt line when running idle.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by want
What is the voltage when
Here is what I have so far. Battery is only 1 year old Interstate MTP-93. This battery replaced another year old battery which was a warranty replacement for another year old battery. Hope this makes sense to you, yes I have replaced the battery every year for 3 years in a row now.

1 cold was 14.05v warmed up 13.95v
2 cold was 13.95v warmed up 13.5v
3 cold was 12.05v warmed up after trip home 12.25v(retention from charging?)
4 cold was 11.95v warmed up after trip home 11.95v

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever identified a rogue current draw on the battery when parked