Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Has anyone here replaced the entire suspension with standard A6 shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone here replaced the entire suspension with standard A6 shocks?

Have any of you had the allroad suspension system replaced with the standard A6 shocks? My Audi service department doesn't do it, but they do see allroads coming in than have had the air bags replaced with a standard suspension system.
I'm tired of putting tons of money into bags that leak but I'd like to keep the car if it's economically feasible.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Jacobs
Have any of you had the allroad suspension system replaced with the standard A6 shocks? My Audi service department doesn't do it, but they do see allroads coming in than have had the air bags replaced with a standard suspension system.
I'm tired of putting tons of money into bags that leak but I'd like to keep the car if it's economically feasible.
Yes. Quite a few.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mark Jacobs
Have any of you had the allroad suspension system replaced with the standard A6 shocks?
In December, I replaced mine with the Arnott system. So far, I like it. And, I'm looking forward to never seeing the suspension failure light again!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just did it. Money well spent. Did it for $900 too with adjustable coil overs.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go this route, and like the normal ride height of your allroad, you should get a kit specifically designed for the allroad such as Arnott, BlauParts, or 2benett.

A6 shocks and springs will make the car sit lower (around L1 or maybe a bit lower), which means you will have excessive camber on your wheels. This could be fixed by getting adjustable upper control arms (pricey) or A6 lower control arms. With A6 lower arms, I'm not exactly sure the axles would still be the right length since the axles are allroad specific.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Stance or GTFO

Seriously though, the coil over conversions that a couple companies offer for ~$1k are totally worth it and set the car to position 2.

I prefer position -1.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I went the other way. Installed IPP suspension arms which extend air system travel by 50%. So know I have super low L1 with super high L4. Love it.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
I went the other way. Installed IPP suspension arms which extend air system travel by 50%. So know I have super low L1 with super high L4. Love it.
Where can the IPP arms be purchased? The most I can gather is that awhile back, someone was making them... Outside of that, I've got nothing!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Though I love the adjustability, I'm not in a position to spend money on the Arnott Gen-II kit. Therefore, I'm following this guide and installing either Koni or KW coilovers.

Btw, if you look at the Blauparts Conversion Kit, it appears that they use standard A6 strut/spring components and add large spacers for height. So, if anything you can try coilovers and if you don't like the ride height, get a machine shop to carve you out some spacers.

Best of luck!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recently did it and wrote up a mini-guide you can find here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839793

Good luck! There's lots of other guides around too. Mine was focused on the issues I ran into - many of which seemed somewhat universal, but perhaps less detailed in other guides.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here replaced the entire suspension with standard A6 shocks?