Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Have we decided to accept the Tiptronic "clunk" as normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have we decided to accept the Tiptronic "clunk" as normal?

This is my 3rd Audi tiptronic in the last 8 years (2000 A4, 2002 A6, 2005 allroad). All three exhibited the exact same "clunk" in the tip transmission. At first, I thought on my A4, it was because of the PES Supercharger and the added stress on the transmission. Then, with my A6, I thought maybe because of the GIAC X chip and again the added stress on the transmission. But now, with my allroad, the engine is not modded, so clearly it is just a flaw. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm referring to, when you slow down nearly to a stop, the tiptronic is automatically downshifting. If you accelerate, just before you fully stop, catching the transmission between the 2nd to 1st (or possibly 3rd to 2nd) downshift, the entire car "bucks" or "clunks" or whatever you want to call it, but it is abrupt and unsettling, depending upon how much you are pressing on the gas pedal. Most often it happens in stop & go traffic. I've learned to avoid it by waiting to hit the gas until I can feel the downshift complete, but I've never understood how it could be just an acceptable flaw for such an expensive car. My oem warranty is up in a little over a month and thought I'd mention this to the dealer, but find it hard to believe I'm the only one frustrated by this and/or making an issue out of this. Has anyone else tried to have this addressed by Audi? I'd like to hear anyone else's experience on this issue. For the manual tranny guys, yes, just smile and try to hold the wisecracks.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Happens on my S4, less noticeable on the AR. If you think the Tip clunk is bad, you should try a BMW

Steptronic - it's 10 times worse!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default possible to catch automatics in the wrong place like that, but unless you duplicate

the condition for the dealer on a test drive (practice it nearby so you know where and how to trigger it upon demand, then reproduce for them), you'll get the "did not confirm, could not reproduce, performing normally" response and nothing for your effort.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm pretty confident I can duplicate for a tech..I'll practice it before
Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed, less noticeable on my ar than A4, but IMHO still unacceptable
Old 08-03-2008, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I always thought that was the torque convertor locking up
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

oddly, my mom's x5 doesn't do that. neither does my 1970 Torino.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default the CLUNK

It was so bad on my AR that I related the episode on this forum a few months ago. I persisted with my local dealer and they drained and re-filled the transmission fluid - this solved it for me! I was 1.75 qts. low. and apparently the fluid level is difficult to check and/or diagnose. You might try this "easy" fix.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Check the ATF level first. If it's OK, then it's usually caused by uncorrected MAF reading, e.g.,

intake hose leaking or bad MAF sensor.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The Steptronic on my old X5 caused the car to buck like a mechanical bull.

Quick Reply: Have we decided to accept the Tiptronic "clunk" as normal?