Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Headlight sensor failure following Audi headlight recall !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight sensor failure following Audi headlight recall !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I just picked up my Allroad after having the JY headlight switch recall performed and found a new light on my dash display as I pulled out of the dealer. I flipped around the block and took the car back to NIELLO Audi in Sacramento. After several days of diagnostic work I was told that my headlight sensor failed and that it had nothing to do with their repair work. I called Audi of North America to complain and they agreed with the dealers claim that the repair could not call the headlight failure light to come on. They are telling me that I need to replace a headlight sensor at $240.00 plus labor. Has anyone run into this issue and what was the resolution?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I never heard about the headlight switch recall. Details??
Old 10-07-2008, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 3 or 4 years ago.

1 of 1: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS:SWITCH
Recall Number: 04V133000
Dates Manufactured: AUG 1997 to FEB 2004
Number of Vehicles Affected: 172866
Date Owners Notified On: Unavailable
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, PHYSICAL CONTACT OF THE LEFT DRIVER-?S SIDE CRASH ELEMENT WITH THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH WIRING HARNESS COULD RESULT IN AN ELECTRICAL SHORT.
Consequence of Defect:
A FIRE COULD ORIGINATE IN THE LEFT DASHBOARD AREA.
Corrective Action:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A PROTECTIVE COVERING ON THE CRASH ELEMENT. IN ADDITION, THE WIRING HARNESS AS WELL AS THE FELT PROTECTOR ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE DASHBOARD CARRIER WILL BE CHECKED, AND REPLACED IF NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT AUDI AT 1-800-822-2834.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks! Gotta go check my Elsaweb records, but I don't think this was ever done to my car.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CJ Loker....this was not a recall for the switch, but for insullation being added to

the dash internals. There was a raw metal edge under the dash that could have worn away the outer covering of the electric wires. It did result in a few fires.

The dealer's added some stick foam insulation to the edge. In some cases if they saw wire's exposed they replaced the harness. To my knowlege no headlight switch was replaced as it was not a problem.

This is why the dealer is saying they did not do anything that was related to the sensor.

HOWEVER..

You need to convince the dealer to "think outside the box" for 5 minutes of time.

Long story....

My Telephone and internet providor (Broadview) had to upgrade a T1 router inside our phone closet. After the install we lost our fax line and another phone line. The provider swore they had nothing to do with it and that is must be our phone system.

I asked for a repair tech from the phone providor and begged him to "think outside the box". He spent 5 minutes of time and discovered that the original installing tech, accidentally removed/broke two lines from our system.. like his shirt button hooked onto a wire when he reached his hand inside...

While I don't know the wiring of the inside of the dash, it is possible something similar has happened. A tech could had accidentally removed or broke a wire that leads to the sensor circut. This shows as a bad sensor.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Headlight sensor failure following Audi headlight recall !!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI,

Thanks for the feedback. I opened up the glove box today and identified the three bosch sensor units that relate to the headlight leveling. I have the part numbers written down and will look to find out which unit controls which function of the headlight adjustment system. Right now neither of my headlights are leveling when I turn them on. I still find it quite remarkable that after the JN recall was performed that I have this problem. I'm still thinking that the technician inadvertently did something to cause this issue. I may take it to Lasher Audi to have the work verified and to get a second opinion.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CJ Loker
HI,

Thanks for the feedback. I opened up the glove box today and identified the three bosch sensor units that relate to the headlight leveling. I have the part numbers written down and will look to find out which unit controls which function of the headlight adjustment system. Right now neither of my headlights are leveling when I turn them on. I still find it quite remarkable that after the JN recall was performed that I have this problem. I'm still thinking that the technician inadvertently did something to cause this issue. I may take it to Lasher Audi to have the work verified and to get a second opinion.
I know this is an old post but I have the same issue and wanted to see if you have the part numbers readily available?

Thanks

Nate

Also has anyone swapped the air shocks for coil springs? Advantages and/or disadvantage?