Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Hitch Installation Time - Poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thanks for the details!

My dealer wouldn't install the hitch--I found an outfit in Napa that had done one before and they took almost 6 hours and charged $585.

Quick question: Does anyone know the recommended suspension setting for when you are towing? All I could find in the manual is that it should be set to manual and not automatic. I have a 2001 allroad.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Level 2 while towing...

It may even do this automatically when the trailer wire harness is plugged in?
Old 08-21-2002, 04:57 PM

Default As the world turns....

Carlsen still has my allroad. They are paying for a rental car today and the service writer is trying to side step the hitch install price a bit... They have yet to revise or ask for my authorization to increase the estimate of $228... I'm sure they will try to spring it on me

Robert
TrackJunkie.Com
Old 08-22-2002, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Level 2 while towing...

Actually the manual said to use the manual setting and I was able to select all positions except the highest (4)while the harness was plugged in????
Old 08-22-2002, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll be there today... will I see your car?

Hopefully it's bum is back on!
Old 08-22-2002, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default New Numbers...

The service guys said that it took them 4.2 hours to install your hitch, and that their plan is to charge $513. (At $114/hr, that is actually 4.5 hours of labor charge).

Let me know what you actually get stuck paying... as I don't plan to pay any more =).
Old 08-22-2002, 04:32 PM

Default Well I've picked up my car and the install is clean.

As for the labor they honored their mis-guided estimate. I knew going in that the estimate was low based on the amount of things that had to be done and I told them so. I was fully prepared to spend the $500 (not $1000).

I know you spoke to David because he said my friend came in blah blah blah. After speaking to Audi customer care today I wouldn't bust Carlsen's *** too much if they charge you 4.5 hours... that seems fair for the job.

I know everybody wants the best deal and it seems to me that getting it out of the sales department is the best tactic.

I'm a consultant and when I bid jobs that do not have clear parameters I bill time and materials. That's how they should have billed me. If I bid a job with a set price and it costs more I eat it. Carlsen ate it on my hitch. They probably won't make that mistake again. I usually don't. I'm not standing up for the dealership, just pointing out good business.

But even a $500 hitch install is nothing compared to a Ducati 4 valve rocker replacement regime.

Regards,

Robert
TrackJunkie.Com
Old 08-22-2002, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If if were their first hitch intallation...

....I'd be sympathetic about their confusion over how long it really takes.

But, they have done a few installs of the slightly more complex 2001 hitch in the past (according to David the service guy & Greg the salesman). They were also unabashed about quoting me 8-hours on the phone, after I explained the whole new-car arriving on their lot in a few days situation -- which kind of seperates me from the accross town, labor charge cross-shopper.

I can't help but feel that they're just trying to get as much money out of the install as they can, and I can't blame them for doing that either.

In this case, it's the sales dept. that will lose... as the car hasn't been payed for yet, and as Yoda says, "There is another." =)
Old 08-22-2002, 05:47 PM

Default I think it was...

First it's not there first time on the hitch as a dealership. However the techs that had done it are not there anymore (one is the parts manager and the other is at the Porsche dealership in RC).

No doubt they would like to make as much as they can but as I stated earlier 4.5 hours it not over kill. ACC told me the minimum time is 3 hours but generally that would require experience in doing it (they arrived at the average time by having a tech do the install and de-install 10 times). They recommend dealers charge time for the accessory installs.

You know what I paid to get it done, you know that they should have billed more. Are you going to let your desire to save $250 on this install you know takes longer that 2 hours, keep you from getting the car you want?

I sincerely hope you can barter the price down. That would be great! I tried and they wouldn't even touch it because my sales person knew the experience of the current techs wasn't there.

I'll let you know how it goes... I'm trailering Sunday to Thunderhill for two trackdays.

Best Regards,
Robert
TrackJunkie.Com
Old 08-22-2002, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have fun at the track!

I'm sure you will... =) Got any weekend dates coming up?

Incidentally, I was concerned about providing the "learner" car for the tech to practice installing the hitch on, and David mentioned that the guy who did yours, did a few 2001 installs himself. So, that's reassuring.