Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

I am interested in getting a new mountain bike ... to put on top of my allroad (audi content)...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am interested in getting a new mountain bike ... to put on top of my allroad (audi content)...

I know that some of you are avid riders, and I am fairly versed in bikes and components, but by no means and expert. (audi) I know I want Full Suspention but not a pure downhill bike as most of the trails in my area require some uphill riding to get to the downhill parts.(audi) Basically my question to you guys is - I am looking to spend about 1000 dollars, and I want a complete package bike with at least decent components that will fit my needs I am sure that I will upgrade some as time goes on, but for now I want something I jump right on and be stoked with. (audi) So thoughts and recommendations would be great.
Thanks guys
Old 04-23-2002, 03:37 PM

Default Gary Fisher

I've been an expert class XC racer for several years, and I've had my share of bikes from Specialized, Klein, Yeti, Gary Fisher... Mostly cross country hard tails. But 2 years ago fisher put me on the Sugar 1. Its a great XC Full Suspension design. You'd never know you were on a full suspension bike while riding... But later you realize you've gone farther faster, and still feel like riding some more. My Sugar 1 stock weighed 23lbs, and lost 2 more over the years with part replacements. The Sugar 1 is a little above your price range, but they make a whole line of bikes based on this same design... some with more travel than the Sugar 1. As fisher is owned by Trek, Trek also uses a similar design in the "Fuel" Series. Also great bikes I've heard. Since Fisher was bought by Trek, the build quality has vastly improved at any given price (economies of scale effect).

Check out gary fisher at the following link, and happy riding!<ul><li><a href="http://www.fisherbikes.com">Fisher Bikes</a></li></ul>
Old 04-23-2002, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Okay... to mount a mountain bike on your AUDI...

I'd recommend a bike from SuperGo. If you can stretch your spending money to $1500, they have the GT i-drive RACE for $1500... regular MSRP is $2600. If not, then I'd get the Schwinn Rocket-88 stage 3 they have for $750 and spend a couple hundred on upgrading the parts a bit.

Both GT and Schwinn are no longer due to their bankruptcy, but dang, these are two sweet deals.

If you go to SuperGo, ask to speak with Gabe and tell him the dude with the Audi allroad referred you... see if he can hook you up with a deal.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:21 PM

Default LOL, some suggestions...

Finding a quality full-suspension rig with decent components for under $1,000 (to put on top of your AUDI ;-) is going to be really, really tough.

Your best bets are probably the Giant XTC NRS 3, which retails for about $1099, and the Jamis Dakar Comp, which retails for about $1399.

I don't ride one, but I think that the Giant XTC NRS 3 is probably the best all-around FS value for the money. You'll want to upgrade some of the components, but the frame is top-notch. I ride a Jamis road bike and love it, but Giant's NRS suspension design always gets raves in the bike mags (my off-road ride is a Moots YBB -- I know, I am very spoiled).

You can get more info about each of these bikes at JamisBikes.com and Giant-Bicycles.com.

Good luck finding a new accessory for your AUDI!
Old 04-23-2002, 04:38 PM

Default Some follow up thoughts...

As someone who rides a pivot free suspension bike (like the Sugar and Trek Fuel series my Moots relies on flex in the chainstays vs. a pivot at that location) I don't find that to be a problem, but I get the sense that most recreational riders (particularly those who enjoy the downhills more than the uphills) prefer a "true" full-suspension design ala Giant's NRS than a soft-tail.

The downside is a bit more weight (but not much) and a bit more maintenance, but the upside is more travel and a plusher ride -- both things that rec. riders seem to care a lot about.

Just my 2 cents. Bikes are just like cars, everyone has an opinion and they often differ!
Old 04-23-2002, 04:57 PM

Default Great Suggestions so far guys thanks... just to clarify 1000 is an estimate I am willing to flex ...

most likely upward given what I am asking for.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:24 PM

Santa Cruz Heckler X !!!
Old 04-23-2002, 05:30 PM

Default Sweet, but...

isn't just the Heckler frameset alone about $1000?
Old 04-23-2002, 05:52 PM

Hmm, I forgot I paid $1600 for my bike :/
Old 04-23-2002, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Agree with others...

The Schwinn Rocket 88 and Giant NRS 3 are probably the best bets at around a grand, but the Jamis Dakar Comp is so much more bike for a little more $$ (around $1450 retail). Components and performance are definitely a notch above the others. All are HEAVY, though (28-30 #). For "around $1000," I think you might want to look into a good hardtail. You could purchase a sweet, race-worthy rig for a grand from Specialized, Trek and even some leftover Schwinn Homegrowns. I only recently switched to a softtail like Cyjack (Ibis Silk-ti), but I still ride my trusty Litespeed hardtail all winter.

Performance and component-wise, the thousand dollar hardtail will smoke the thousand dollar dual-suspension rig any day.

Check out mtbr.com for consumer reviews.

Quick Reply: I am interested in getting a new mountain bike ... to put on top of my allroad (audi content)...