Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

i think my cat is clogged, can i just drop it to find out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think my cat is clogged, can i just drop it to find out?

i think one of my cats is clogged. rotten egg smell from one of the pipes. can i just drop the cat on the side that i think is clogged and run it like that to test? will that cause the car to go into limp mode or anything? im not talking about driving it like that for long, just to see if my power comes back and overheating go away
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. You cannot just drop a cat. It is part of the downpipe/header.

And I doubt your cat is clogged. What kind of gas do you put in your car? What engine?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i thought that the rotten egg smell from the tail pipe meant that the cat is bad, why can't i just run the straight pipe from the turbo for a couple minutes?
ive got the 2.7t

i put premium in it, but ive only had the car for a few months and its had this problem since i got it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry i meant why cant i just drop my downpipe?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rotten egg smell means you ran fuel with sulphur in it. You may need to run a different brand fuel and add fuel additives to your tank. Make sure your engine is is running properly also, as poor combustion from needing a tune-up can also cause this. A good highway run will help to clear out loaded up cats sometimes also.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well im really running out of ideas, the car has almost no power, im getting about 10mpg and it overheats but still making 7-11 lbs of boost. but theres a small coolant leak in one turbocharger, when i do a pressure test i can hear air bubbling up from around that turbocharger area.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have you checked for any soft codes?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pchelka01
Have you checked for any soft codes?
you mean with the vag com? 034 motorsports did it for me and it came up with some minor valve body codes for the tranny and thats it. they did say its running lean though
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So there are no codes, and the car runs like crap?

While it's possible that someone did some serious carbon buildup removal, and chunks of carbon now clogged your cat, I doubt it.

Rotten egg smell indicates a large presence of sulphur. As another suggestion, put a can of seafoam into your gas tank, then fill up, and drive the car for a while, see if anything helps.

If you drop your downpipe, you will have a very loud exhaust, since your are dropping the exhaust right after the turbo outlet. You will have O2 sensor codes, and the other side will put up greater exhaust resistance than this one. Seems like a strange way of testing the cat, but if you have the tools and the skills to drop the downpipe, the time and the place, I guess you could go for it.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

cool ill try the seafoam. ill take both of the downpipes off when i do it to test. i know it will be stupid loud but at least then i'll know. my dads got a 6 car garage with an oil pit so removal isn't a big deal. i guess i could get a laser thermometer and get temp readings with that, that would probably be a lot easier, if one side is clogged it'll be hotter im sure, right?

Quick Reply: i think my cat is clogged, can i just drop it to find out?