Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Installed MBC and TCD on my GIAC-X AR and HOLY $^(#!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed MBC and TCD on my GIAC-X AR and HOLY $^(#!

Lately, I've been reading alot of old posts about installing an MBC along with the TCD (Diode Mod) in the Audi 2.7T's. Since I am ready to install my K04's, and I don't care if I blow the $&!# out of my K03's, I figured that I'd give this combo mod a try. This is in my 2001 Allroad 2.7T, Tip GIAC-X. First, for those, if any, who want to try this mod, I would suggest that you invest in a KWP2000 cable interface, VCDS Lite (Registered version) and have at the very least a simple tuner like Lemmiwinks, or Unisettings, because you may have to change some primary and secondary fueling and you'll want to use the VCDS (Vag-Com) to determine your AFR voltages (Low=RICH, High=LEAN). Yes, VCDS as a fairly decent wideband area for AFR. The Bosch ME7.1 will adjust the AFR, pretty well, since the AFR is based mostly on MAF signal. Anyway, back to the install. I purchased 50 4.7v 1W Zener Diodes from Ebay ($2.99 delivered) and an MBC from NXS for $19.99 delivered, on Ebay Motors (This is the exact same one that Vast sells for $49.).
Well, long story short, I did the install with the MBC in Stand Alone and just looped a hose from the N75 valve's "Ambient to pressure side" and left the N75 plugged in electrically. Then I installed the Diode (I used a cheap fuse holder to attach this to the MAP wires Blue/Gray #1 and Brown #4). The MBC came for NXS adjusted at around 14 psi. So, I adjusted it up to what I thought would be around 20 psi and I hit the road. The difference was unbelievable. The turbos spooled up so fast, that I didn't know what hit me. Next thing I know, I'm looking at my Digital Boost Gauge (Coolingmist VC-2 progressive variable controller for my water/methanol injection system) and it's steady at 28 psi. I mean it climbed so fast and stayed there as I looked at my speedo and noticed that I was doing over 100 mph on the freeway, I quickly back off, pulled over and adjusted the boost down to what was eventually 20 psi max.
Of course, I did have my W/M and Wideband AFR failsafes hooked up, but there was never any problem with the AFR's. The ECU adapted perfectly to this new setup.
Anyway, I'm gonna post some pics and graphs, but I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else has done this to their Allroad?