Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Interior lights, windows and sunroof all not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior lights, windows and sunroof all not working

Weird problem cropped up while on a road trip a few weeks ago that still hasn't been sorted out. Car is a 2002 allroad 2.7T with currently 158,000 miles on it. We drove about 300 miles in pretty hot conditions (upper 90's to low 100's F) and parked at my sister's house. Rain overnight and the next day, the interior lights don't work, the windows and sunroof won't open and I have three open doors on my display (passenger front and back, and driver's side rear).

I've don't quite a bit of reading and checking and this is what I've done and discovered.

Fuse 14 is blown. Replaced it and it instantly blew again. There is 12.whatever volts on the left side of the fuse, and .006 volts on the negative side always.

Removed all the interior light bulbs and checked for damaged wires and corrosion - nothing.

Drove the car home with no further issues.

Pulled codes and the interesting one read:
01570 - Turn-off delay Terminal 15: Short to ground.

I pulled the battery cover expecting to find a puddle under the battery - there was none. Hmmmm..... I pulled up the carpet on the driver's side looking for signs of flooding and couldn't find any moisture there either. Checked the CCM box and was dry as well. Reseated the connector anyway. No change. I didn't think to check if I still had voltage on the negative side of fuse 14 with the CCM unplugged (dang it!!).

Opened up the driver's seat looking for wire damage. Found Cheerios, animal crackers, a receipt from Burger King and evidence of spider habitation, but no wire damage. Removed the connector for the rear footwell lamp anyway but still have voltage on the negative side of the fuse.

I guess the next step is to pull the carpet up again, unseat the CCM and see if I still have voltage at the fuse. Is it possible the CCM just went TU due to heat? Not sure what else could be wrong. Anyone in the northwest Milwaukee area got a CCM they want to loan me for 10 minutes (or a few years if it works)?

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, I had the exact same problem crop up on my Allroad on a trip to Colorado a couple of weeks ago.

Years before we'd had the dealer replace the sunroof drain tubes because they were leaking on the right front corner - this was a warranty campaign by Audi, BTW. To get the tubes out they had to remove a lot of the trim around the windshield and such, on reassembly they managed to pinch the wires for the right side sunvisor.....all I had to do was pull the assembly out and insulate where the wire insulation had been pinched and carefully reinstall it - it didn't look burned or shorted, but that was it.

Since this is so easy to see and fix, I'd look there first.

I think I put up a thread here with pics, if not I can post the pics of the wires to show how they were damaged - it was very slight.

In our case not only did the items you mentioned not work, but also the power seat memory, power windows and the auto dimming rear view mirrors - that made the drive home at night not very much fun, especially at toll booths!

Here's a pic showing how the wires looked, it didn't seem like it could short from this, but after a few weeks of it still working fine, I think that was it.

Last edited by allroaddave; 08-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Guess I know what I'm looking at next!!! If anyone is looking for me, I'll be in the garage.

Seeing voltage on the negative side of the fuse terminal is what is making me think that it's something like this. The problem is finding. But I'll check both mirrors right away.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

That wasn't it. Visor wiring all looks good and unplugging it all still saw voltage at the fuse negative side. But I think it's something like this (or a fried CCM messing with my melon).
Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Resolution....sort of....

I had all sorts of stuff pulled apart yesterday and had the doors open for an eternity after reseating (resetting???) the CCM. I put it all back together after dinner and the last thing to be put away before popping the fuse box cover back on was the 10 amp fuse I had at the ready from earlier. I thought to myself, WTF, why not - and jammed it in slot 14.

And the courtesy lamps alighted.

Waaaa-haaaa-haaaa-eh?

I turned on the ignition and tried the windows, popped the sun roof and opened all the other doors waiting for the fuse to pop again. It didn't. And hasn't for nearly 24 hours.

So, my conclusion is that I have a slowly dying CCM. I fully expect fuse 14 to pop again at some point in the non-too-distant future and I'll disconnect and reconnect it again and see if I can milk a few more months out of it before replacement. But that's where I'm at at this point. I attribute it to the heat.

That's all for now. Thanks for all the suggestions gang.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jav
Resolution....sort of....
ACTUAL resolution!!!!

I had the same symptoms again a few weeks ago - could have kicked a puppy. Lo and behold I look at the passenger side visor and it's down and the vanity mirror cover is open again. Hmmmmm....the boy was in there last, it's GOT to be that wiring!!

So I pulled the visor again, and pulled the wire out of the headliner a little further and found...(see attached). Son of a..... Well, I cut out the crappy wire and reconnected it. It's been working fine since. I'm sure it's fixed this time.

Moral of the story, don't be afraid to look a little further up the line for the short.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fuse 14

Originally Posted by jav
ACTUAL resolution!!!!

I had the same symptoms again a few weeks ago - could have kicked a puppy. Lo and behold I look at the passenger side visor and it's down and the vanity mirror cover is open again. Hmmmmm....the boy was in there last, it's GOT to be that wiring!!

So I pulled the visor again, and pulled the wire out of the headliner a little further and found...(see attached). Son of a..... Well, I cut out the crappy wire and reconnected it. It's been working fine since. I'm sure it's fixed this time.

Moral of the story, don't be afraid to look a little further up the line for the short.
I had the same exact problem - issue was connector under drivers seat , wires that go to the courtesy foot light were pinched, solution was to simply unplug the connector ...
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 AM
jav
AudiWorld Member

I had already been down that path and did the same thing you did only that wasn't the issue. But thanks for mentioning it again for the next guy.